unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Algae growth for Tang Cichlids

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
jowdawg
Post subject: Algae growth for Tang Cichlids
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:05 pm

Algae is begining to grow in my 75 gallon Tang tank. I know from reading that my trophs will graze on it. Is this true in practice? Do I have to cut thier spirulina flake food to get them to graze? . They are voracious eaters. I feed them about 3 to 6 times a day, just enough for them to eat it all. I am wondering if I continue to feed them if they will still opt for the algae...............

Is there any particular type of algae that I should worry about or will these guys take care of it? I looks like brown/green spots on the sides of the tank so far.

Profile Quote
Puffs
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:05 pm

How much light do you have on your 75? You want at a min 1.5 watt per gallon to 2 watts per gallon to grow plants. To grow really thick algae, I think you need the same.

I will say this, I am TRYING to grow algae. I am running 116 watts on my 75 gallon, and I am after a week beginning to see algae. I was running only 40 watts before and all I was getting is the brown stuff. I didn't do a water change this week because I am trying to get the Nitrate count up a bit to promote the growth a little. I am thinking I might need more light, but I am not sure yet. I am definately seeing the brown change to green, but I want thick carpets of the green stuff. It appears to be happening, but slowly. Not sure how long it takes.

I am going to do a water change this sunday though because I would never go beyond 2 weeks with Tropheus.

You have Moliro's like me right?

Profile Quote
jowdawg
Post subject: Algae
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:21 pm

Yes I have Moliros. Looks like the algae is starting. I have just a standard light fixture with 2 bulbs. One regular and one a gro-light. I forget the brand, I'll have to check next water change.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: let it grow let it grow
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:03 am
Site Admin

let it grow let it grow
-Eric Clapton 1971

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
jowdawg
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:04 am

Ned will they just start to graze or should I cut down on their spirulina flake food?

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:25 am
Site Admin

you can feed 'em flake
AND
let them graze...
if they graze all day they'll be happy as a tropheus in Tanganyika!

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: