Fish-related discussions

Uncle Ned's Fish Factory Testimonials

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Sam
Post subject: Uncle Ned's Fish Factory Testimonials
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi All,
I'm posting these recent reviews because I'm proud of them. They are online reviews from google, yelp, citisearch, etc etc. And I couldn't be happier with them - I'm so glad that people are still getting from this store exactly what I did thirteen years ago when I first walked in the door at 14 years old.

I also want to encourage anybody so moved to please review us online - we love to hear about how we have helped people along in this hobby, and additional reviews also helps us compete for online ranking with some of our local competitors

- Sam

Thanks to Susan M. for this really wonderful online review!

"Uncle Neds Fish Factory in Millis, Ma., is, in my opinion, the "best" tropical fish store I have ever visited in both this country and in Canada. My job enables me to travel to many different states, and my dog obedience hobby has me traveling to shows both in the U.S. and Canada...giving me the opportunity to visit many of the LFS...I always seem to come back to Uncle Neds in Millis, Ma. for both my fish needs and my answers to problems. When I walk into their store, I feel like a kid in a candy store, I never know what new kind of fish I will be treated with that day. Though they are great at re-ordering a species one wants, I sometimes feel like ( at Bldg 19) ...buy now, just in case it's not here next time. Eventually that species comes in, but, in the meantime, several more might catch my attention. I have been introduced to barilioides barbs, taenicara candidi and coelistinus tetras (???spelling?)...all species that are beautiful, different and difficult to find, even on the internet. I recently introduced a friend who had just installed a three level waterfall backyard pond onto his property. He had started to stock his pond with the run of the mill Koi...now, he is constantly on-line looking at Sams' pictures and choosing many awesome fish to add to his collection. The store offers pond care but this friend chooses to do the work himself...it's his hobby... and he feels very comfortable just driving to the store , not to buy every time, but just to ask a question or to get help with a problem he is having. The "Guys!"...Ned, Dan, and Sam, are always ready, willing and able to answer a question or help with a problem. If they don't know the answer, they will try their best to find the answer for you. The other employees are always helpful too. My point is that they are always willing to help a person in need of aquarium related help whether that person is going to spend 50cents on a bargain plastic plant or $5,000. on a ramped up aqua system...they're into what they do. In this day and age, it's hard to find people who are really into "their job." Of course, these guys are trying, like us all, to make a buck, but, they are having fun and are truly helping people AND FISH while they do it. I recently went to one of those bulk dog food, pet supply stores, you know, the one where a true aquarium enthusiast never even looks at, never mind buys a fish. I noticed one " poor "dyed" parrot fish, being bullied and ripped apart by its tankmates. I asked the kid in the fish dept if he would consider moving the fish...his answer.."Oh! that's the normal way they act, they're all friends, there's no problem!" He continued to profess his "fish expertise" to me...well, I commited a mortal sin and got that poor fish out of there. He handed the fish to me in one of those plastic potato salad containers, the one that holds about 1lb. of potato salad....I asked for a plastic bag since the poor fish was only 1/2 covered with H2O and it was forcibly tilted on its side...his response was "Oh, that's the way we always sell all our fish." Needless to say, I grabbed a plastic bag and got some bottled room temp. H2O and re-bagged the poor creature myself. After a few weeks in quarantine, he is now regaining his natural color, his fins are grown back, and he is living the life in his 70 gal. tank, with friends....I guess I'm getting off the point, but, that is one thing a person will NEVER see at Uncle Ned's. Each fish is treated, believe it or not, for the most part, as an individual...just ask the owners of Dora, a four year old, very large goldfish brought in by her 10yr. old crying owner and his mom. Dad had put algae killer into the ten gallon tank and she was brought in "upside down." The "Guys" actually saved Dora, I don't have any idea how, and contacted the family, in a new State, I believe, and set them up with a new, larger home/tank ( at what I suspect was an extremely reasonable price) for Dora. Now, would our local pet--shops, or anyone else for that matter even try to help ?? Sam, at Uncle Neds, just automatically did what had to be done for the fish and the little boy. To me, that is the true meaning of really being into and caring about what you are doing, and at Uncle Neds, that is just a routine part of "what they do!" Well, I,m getting a little off the subject and a bit long winded here, so, let me just end with a thanks to the store called Uncle Neds Fish Factory, ..You guys have both shown and sold me some wonderful fish, over the years, and have always, with a smile, answered my many questions. I really believe that your place is " the best I've ever been to!" For any fish enthusiasts or newcomers to the ornamental fish hobby, if you have the chance to get to Ma., you should definitely put it on your agenda to visit Uncle Neds Fish Factory in Millis, Ma. THX Sue"

Last edited by Sam on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks Philip G

One of the world's best sources for African Cichlids, which are great home aquarium fish (almost as colorful and varied as saltwater fish, but they live in freshwater and can be very hardy and adaptable). Ned and the crew are real experts and will give you honest unbiased advice. My experience with Uncle Ned's spans about 10 years and 10 aquariums, including a 300-gallon African tank.

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Dubtom:

"First rate fish A fish shop for the serious hobbyist, and anyone who wants quality, healthy fish. Ned's has a wide assortment of fish you simply can't find in any other local shop, and in strong healthy condition. You might have success with a delicate species purchased at Ned's, simply because the fish are in such good shape. Also a good assortment of aquatic plants. The staff is excellent, and knowledgeable."

Anonymous:

"Love this place Everyone else nailed it. Great selection, knowledgeble staff, healthy fish. Can't do it much better."

Badman's Tropical Fish:

"This store is great. Ned and Dan are two people who are almost always there along with a few other employees. This store has some of the hard to find stuff and some of the impossible to find stuff. It is clear that their fish selection is not just from one supplier. I find that my fish needs are not that great, but ALL of the fish and shrimp in my 75 gallon tank (aside from ottos) are from Uncle Ned's. It is definitely worth the drive from New Hampshire, I do it once a month at least."

That Fish Nerd:

"Awesome store!
In a quiet little town, this store is awesome. The staff know what they are talking about, they have lots of variety, and everything in there is very healthy. It is clean, and I never see any dead fish. My only complaint is that there isn't nearly as much marine selection as there is freshwater. To many, however, this isn't really a big deal."

Last edited by Sam on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Anonymous:

"By far the best! I've been going to Ned's for about 2 years now. They have an amazing selection! Everything from the common community fish to extremely rare and hard to find fish that you wont see anywhere else. I love the fact that they have a forum that they update with fish they are getting in, and will even post a list of fish they can order for you when they make an order. Everyone that works there is very knowledgeable with all the fish they sell, and will answer any question you have. I find their prices extremely reasonable, and a lot of times a lot less than other aquarium stores. Yeah they aren't petco or petsmart pricing wise, but you get what you pay for and I've never had a bad experience with fish I've gotten from them."

Profile Quote
redpaulhus
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:15 pm

I gave you a plug in a thread on another forum, about our "favorite fish store":

http://www.fishforums.com/forum/265202-post2.html

short version:
Quote:
Ned is an original, he started out selling african cichlids out of his basement (or was it his mom's basement ? ) many many years ago. His store is always fun to visit, I always see something that makes me say "I need to setup another tank". This is a pure fish store, no cat food or dog toys here ! (and leave your $300 Italian loafers at home, puddles and python hoses aren't unheard of on these floors).
While the store carries saltwater fish, the focus here is clearly on high quality freshwater fishes (and plants) - especially top of the line cichlids.
Ned imports great fishes, and he also brings in locally bred fish from some awesome breeders.
Highlights: Cichlids Cichlids Cichlids ! Plus locally raised fishes, and other goodies like killies, rare tetras, puffers and rare "plecos".
What makes it special: Ned. Once you meet the man, the store makes alot of sense.
Also, the store has a great web-forum, where he posts upcoming orders (and even potential orders) so he can find out what people want, and then let them know when they arrive. He also takes special orders via the forum (that's how I ordered my dwarf Indian Mudskippers from him a few years ago).
(ya, I also plugged the store I work at, I'm shameless)
:mrgreen:

Red

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject: Thanks Red
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks Red - Ned is indeed an original ;)

Here are a few new reviews from a round the web:

Thanks to Bob P.
"This is the best Fish place I have ever been to and I have been to my fair share. Staff is always helpful, the selection of fish is great and all the fish I have purchased have been in wonderful health. If you are a cichlid keeper this place is a must visit, nowhere I have ever been to rivals what they have and if you don't see anything you like just go back in two or three weeks and the tanks will be full of new and different stock which is great because I hate going into other places and seeing the same Jack Dempseys and Oscars over and over. Now on to the best thing about Neds, they actively maintain a forum with upcoming stock with expected arrival dates and what the price will be but you can also ask questions about anything to do with fish keeping and I have always gotten very prompt and well thought out answers sometimes with links to pictures to help me understand what their anwers mean and even once helped me identify a fish I got from another supplier which to me was above and beyond what a customer should expect. To call this place a full service fish store is an understatement, they have a passion for fishkeeping and I will continue to drive 90 minutes to see them first when i am looking for fish whether it be something hard to find or fancy guppies."

I like this one.. are we that scetchy?
"Looks sketchy as can be but has the best stock and great staff. They carry some unusual stuff, have a ton of great live plants and the staff is really helpful."

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:35 pm
Site Admin

Skipton's is a good store also Rich,
but thanks for the nice words.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote