unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

malawi bloat

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
atlas511
Post subject: malawi bloat
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:08 pm

can anyone help me? I just added several african cichlids to a well-established 75 gal. tank. four of the new fish and two of the old fish seem to have bloat. alll the articles i've read so far don't make me feel very optimistic. I've perfomred a water change (like I always do), tested the water (no nitirite, no ammonia, pH 8.2), increased the aeration, etc. is there anything els I can do? Is there any hope for my demasoni and obliquidens?

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: bloat
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:29 pm
Site Admin

I wrote a bloat paper in the "library".

I hope you didn't get that bloated stuff from us!

http://unclenedsfishfactory.com/Library ... Bloat.html

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
atlas511
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:17 pm

read the paper - thanks! nope, didn't get it from you. never been to your shop, but I think I'm going to check it out this weekend!

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: more comments on bloat
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:27 pm
Site Admin

Hi ned, I have a couple more questions about bloat. First, you wrote that I should use two tabs of metronidazole per 10 gallons; do you know what the dosage is? Metronidazole is only harmful to protazoa, so yeh, whack it hard. Cichlids have no essential protazoa that you need to worry about.

I can get 250mg tabs from my vet this afternoon, but that's probably too much. No, I don't think it's too much.

Also, I read in a few places that clout is a reasonably effective treatment also. Metza-metz. Better than nothing.

What do you think? I probably can't mix the two medications, right? You can mix almost any meds with african cichlids, except copper sulphate with anti-biotics. In fact, you can throw almost the whole bathroom cabinet at them, and the medicine itself won't kill them...the only problem is that some meds nuetralize each other, or it's just a waste of Meds.

I've had africans for five years and have never had a health problem in any of my tanks before, so I'm a little stressed out about the whole thing. If you keep afrcan cichlids, you will eventually see bloat, even if you do everything right. It is a way bummer. Anything that already has bloat so bad they can't even swim, I'd probably just destroy...anything that has just started to fail to feed you can probably save.

I don't expect to save all my fish at this point, but I don't want to lose them all, like my big frontosa, etc. Thanks for your help.
Todd

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: