Fish-related discussions

Water conditioning for your African tanks

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
smvb
Post subject: Water conditioning for your African tanks
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:33 am

Hi,
I'm setting up a Tanganyikan tank, and planning to shoot for a pH of about 8. I plan to use CaribSea African Cichlid Mix as the substrate, and probably in my filter as well.

I was wondering what you do there at Uncle Ned's to buffer the water in your cichlid tanks. How do you make the water harder?

I guess what I'm really looking for is whether I should attempt to somewhat match your water conditions so that the fish I buy experience as small of a shock as possible.

Also, what do you recommend for removing chlorine and chloramine?

Regards,
Susan

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: tanganyikan tank chemistry
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:01 pm
Site Admin

Tanganyikan tank, and planning to shoot for a pH of about 8. Good.
I plan to use CaribSea African Cichlid Mix as the substrate, and probably in my filter as well. Good.

I was wondering what you do there at Uncle Ned's to buffer the water in your cichlid tanks. Our water is highly alkaline right out of the tap.How do you make the water harder? Kent & Seachem both make African lake buffers & chemistrys, also Petcetera makes Rift Lake cichlid salts, I also use a little sea salt mix, such as Instant Ocean.

I guess what I'm really looking for is whether I should attempt to somewhat match your water conditions so that the fish I buy experience as small of a shock as possible. They're not that fussy,
as long as your water is not acidic, they'll be fine.

Also, what do you recommend for removing chlorine and chloramine? We sell Sera Aquatan, Tetra Aquasafe, Kordon Novaqua & Amquel... they are all good.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: