unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

The two catfish with whiskered barbels near the stingrays?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
jimoo
Post subject: The two catfish with whiskered barbels near the stingrays?
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 pm

What species are they? I love them, need to do a bit of research before I can commit (hopefully).

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:13 pm
Site Admin

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject: Planiloricaria
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:12 pm

You should try them out...

I picked up two related fish a few months ago - Pseudohemiodon apithanos - and they have quickly become one of my all time favorite fish. The Pseudohemiodons, like the Planiloricaria, are sand dwelling loracids, they spend all day walking around on their pelvic fins and burrying themselves. My Pseudohemiodons are very social and always hang out together - although they have staged, and very amusing, twirling fights about once a day - I'm hoping they might breed soon. Both the Pseudohemiodons and the Planiloricaria are also pretty easy to feed compared to more conventional Pleco types as they readily take brine shrimp, pellets, and even go after flake if its sitting on the aquarium bottom. Planiloricaria apparently do get larger than most loracids though, a foot at least, not including the whip, and they need some open sand or gravel beds to hang out in.

Bottom line: Sand loricids are very different from anything else out there and definitely worth a try.

-Sam

Profile Quote
jimoo
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:56 pm

I'd like to, they're awesome looking, but will require a substrate change.

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:06 pm

jimoo wrote:
I'd like to, they're awesome looking, but will require a substrate change.
They would be most at home with a finer substrate... like the number 0, 1, or 2 quartz gravel we sell at the factory. However, the species has not been burrying itself at the store and I wonder if they might not be equally happy on larger sized substrate. The most important thing for them will be open space, they should have at least their own body length squared of open substrate to live in.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Special Breeds?”
Jump to: