unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

What do I put in a ten gallon and tons of other questions

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Jacob
Post subject: What do I put in a ten gallon and tons of other questions
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:33 am

I have no idea what to put in it. It has the surface almost completely covered with plants, so the light is pretty dim, and a few plants and pieces of roots in it as well. (What special plant light should I get and what fertilizers should I put in? And, what should the light cycle be?) I might put in peat, just to make it perfect for something like a leaf fish or other fish that likes to be concealed (like the phago maculatus.) This is mostly intended to be for fish that would be too shy in most tanks but are really interesting when they're in this kind of setup. So, I know there are South American and African leaf fishes, I don't know which is better for a ten and what feeding schedule to have for either. And, there's a teleogramma but I don't know if that's too active for this kind of tank. And there's a million other things that I can put in, once it's cycled. But I have no idea what I'm going to forget about and regret not putting in later. Any answers to any of this are appreciated alot.

I played high school football!

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: 10 gallon tank
Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:42 am
Site Admin

I have no idea what to put in it. Apistos, rams, tetras, killis, whatever you want.
It has the surface almost completely covered with plants, so the light is pretty dim, and a few plants and pieces of roots in it as well. (What special plant light should I get and what fertilizers should I put in? And, what should the light cycle be?) Most planted tanks should have the lights on for 12 hours a day if you have a single bulb, 6 - 9 hours a day if you have a double or triple bulb. My favorite light for a plant tank is Hagen's Lifeglo. Don't overdue the fertilizers, basically, if the leaves are looking yellow, give them a squirt of iron, we like the Kent products, any brand is fine (just check for zero phosphate).
I might put in peat, just to make it perfect for something like a leaf fish or other fish that likes to be concealed (like the phago maculatus.) The only thing with peat is it MIGHT make your pH too low, 6 is normally as low as you ever want to be with almost any fish...most plants like the pH above 7.
This is mostly intended to be for fish that would be too shy in most tanks but are really interesting when they're in this kind of setup. So, I know there are South American and African leaf fishes, I don't know which is better for a ten and what feeding schedule to have for either. I don't think the fish are as fussy as you are, but yes all fish certainly need to be fed. The rule of thumb for feeding fish is never put in more food than they can finish in about a half minute.
If you want your fish to grow big and fast, feed FREQUENTLY, but not so much at a time that they can't finish it.

And, there's a teleogramma but I don't know if that's too active for this kind of tank. Teleogramma are not very active, but they can grow to be 6".
And there's a million other things that I can put in, once it's cycled. But I have no idea what I'm going to forget about and regret not putting in later. Any answers to any of this are appreciated alot.
________

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Jacob
Post subject: thanks
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:10 am

Thanks for responding to all those questions. The thing is, all different books say different things, and they are often really severe, someone said leaf fish die if you don't have a rigorous feeding schedule (how often and how much.) What were they smoking?

I played high school football!

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: leaf fish
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:56 am
Site Admin

We haven't had leaf fish in a long time.
I don't remember them being terribly difficult.
All fish need to eat....
but Leaf fish usually start on live guppys, which is actually a very good rich food, provided that you care for and FEED your FEEDER guppys well.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: