unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Need advice and recommendations please!

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
theparrot
Post subject: Need advice and recommendations please!
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:30 pm

Let me begin by saying to Ned that you have a fantastic store. I have visited every tropical fish store that I can find in mass and you have the best freshwater selection and most knowledgeable and friendly staff.
Now, I need a little advice and a couple of product recommendations.
I currently have and established african cichlid tank. Its a 20 gallon, and I am moving them into a bigger size tank (29g). I started with three cichlids in the 20, but they have spawned several times, and a couple of the babies survived and the bio load on the tank is just too high at this point. I have a 29 gallon tank to move them into, but not any of the hardware for it. So for that tank I am looking for a recommendation for what filter(s), heater, any other equipment I should buy.
I am planning on doing a salt setup in the 20 gallon once I vacate the current residents. For that one, I need advice as to how/what to clean it with, and what filtration, heater, etc. Basically I want to get an expert opinion of everything I will need to buy to make this happen.
I am planning on doing live rock, coral and only two fish in the salt tank.
Also any pointers on moving the fish into the new tank would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:59 pm
Site Admin

THANKS.

I currently have and established african cichlid tank. Its a 20 gallon, and I am moving them into a bigger size tank (29g).
DEPENDING ON THE SPECIES, A 29 IS NOT A BIG TANK.
MALAWI CICHLIDS SHOULD REALLY HAVE A 75, THE SMALLER TANGANYIKANS ARE FINE IN A 29.
I started with three cichlids in the 20, but they have spawned several times, and a couple of the babies survived and the bio load on the tank is just too high at this point. I have a 29 gallon tank to move them into, but not any of the hardware for it. So for that tank I am looking for a recommendation for what filter(s), heater, any other equipment I should buy.
I SUGGEST AN AQUACLEAR 70 (300) $52.
A SERA 100 WATT HYEATER $33

I am planning on doing a salt setup in the 20 gallon once I vacate the current residents. For that one, I need advice as to how/what to clean it with, and what filtration, heater, etc. Basically I want to get an expert opinion of everything I will need to buy to make this happen.
I am planning on doing live rock, coral and only two fish in the salt tank.
THE CORAL NEEDS BRIGHT LIGHT
YOUR CHOICES IN 24" (IF IT'S A 20 HIGH)
AND IN 30" (IF IT'S A 20 LONG)
ARE THE FOLLOWING

CUR 24” OUTORB HALIDE/PC STRIP $515
# 1X150W HQI
# 2X65W PC ACTINIC
# 4 MOON LIGHT
# 280W TOTAL, 2.4AMP

CUR 24” SATELLITE 65W PC STRIP $85
CUR 24” DUALSAT 2x65W PC STRIP $170
CUR 24” ORBIT 2x65W PC STRIP $210

CUR 30” SATELLITE 65W PC STRIP $90
CUR 30” DUALSAT 2x65W PC STRIP $165
CUR 30” ORBIT 2x65W PC STRIP $220

Also any pointers on moving the fish into the new tank would be greatly appreciated. JUST SET UP THE NEW TANK, USE SOME OF THE OLD WATER AND GRAVEL, MAKE SURE TEMPERATURE IS THE SAME,
CATH 'EM, AND MOVE 'EM...THEY ARE TOUGHER THAN YOU THINK

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: