unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Traveling with fish

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
AJordan
Post subject: Traveling with fish
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:21 pm

Does anyone have experience taking purchased fish on the airplane? Do the rules regarding liquids apply if there is a fish in said liquid? (I'd like to see a liquid that can both explode and keep fish alive)

Reason I ask is that my brother will be visiting next weekend and I was going to give him some plants and fish if he can get them home on the plane (was hoping this would be a nice occasion to avoid shipping).

Thanks,
Adam

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:03 pm
Site Admin

I suggest you check them as baggage

we can set you up with heat packs
styro boxes
oxygen pills
bags
etc

they'll want to inspect it
so bring carton sealing tape

also mark airport of destination on it
and your name and phone number

might want to call airline ahead of time
get a NAME of a supervisor

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
JoshW
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:58 pm

I have called the airlines and they told me that no, you can not carry-on fish any more. I would call and see if they can manually inspect the fish instead of X-raying them; the x-rays used are pretty powerful and could potentially harm the fish. If you can't talk them out of it, I would recommend mailing the fish, driving, or just buying new fish for your brother where he lives.

Plants, on the other hand, will be fine in checked luggage. Just pack them in and airtight bag with a little water, put them in a sturdy container to keep them from being crushed, and wedge them between some socks.

Here's a funny story on the topic, but I wouldn't recommend trying to replicate it:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03362/255283.stm

-Josh

Profile Quote
AJordan
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:50 am

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the best thing to do is be prepared (not my strong suit). It turns out that my brother will be driving up (DC area, seems to be an OK range to take fish if proper preparation is used). Also, the security measures for his car are significantly less restrictive than the airlines, so thats a plus.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: