unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Confusing Test Results

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
MrkFnd
Post subject: Confusing Test Results
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:32 pm

I have some confusing water test results that I am hoping someone can help me explain. I moved my freshwater tank in September of 2006 and again in Oct/Nov of 2006. Each time was a near 100% water change. Admittedly I should have changed water again since then, I have not had a chance to but will asap after testing!

Anyway, when I tested the water tonight I found that the Nitrates and Nitrites were both 0 but the Ammonia was at 2.0 (2 steps away from max on the color chart). So with this data alone I would assume that the bacteria load had been killed in the tank and ammonia was not being converted. However, with no new water changes in over 3 mos and the fish seeming ok (maybe 2 deaths in that time) one would think the bacteria load would have come back by now.

What really makes this a mystery is the pH... The pH didn't register! I.e. the water sample turned pale yellow, the color of the drops, meaning it is 5.0 or less. If I remember my chemistry ammonia is a strong base, therefore the pH should be high with that level of ammonia! To be sure the test was working I tested the tap water and got 7.0-7.5. This is the water that was used to fill the tank 3 mos ago. (with lots of stresscoat/chlorine killer added to each gallon before it was poured in)

The tank is 30 gal and has lots of java fern, java moss and some leafy light green plants that won't stop sending babies up to float on the surface. plus lots of the tiny floating plants that peridically cover the surface and need to be skimmed off.

I lost a few fish before and during the move so the tank is no where near overpopulated and aside form 2 losses since the move the fish seem healthy. Even my remaining 2 bumble bee gobies who supposedly need a higher pH.

Any thoughts on what might be going on or should be done aside from water changes?

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:23 pm
Site Admin

your results are too wierd
I suspect your test chemicals are bad

if the fish are okay
and the plants okay
I wouldn't worry too much

but I suggest you take
some tank water (8 oz)
and some of your tap water (4 oz)
down here and I'll test them for you

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
redpaulhus
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:55 pm

I suspect that the pH is below the range where nitrifying bacteria can live - I think 5.0 is the threshold but don't quote me on that :)

At such a low pH, ammonia (NH3) will be almost totally in the non-toxic (ok, less toxic) Ammonium form (NH4+) and since the filter bacteria can't break it down, it stays there (unless there are enough plants to process it).

I've got a few tanks that will stray into that "below yellow on the pH chart" range if I don't keep up with my water changes, since my water has like no buffering capacity (but those soft-water rainforest fish love it :) )

But I agree with Ned - best bet is to double check with a second set of test kits.
And don't raise the pH too quickly - not only will you have pH shock to deal with, you'll have ammonium converting back into ammonia and have to deal with that as well....

Red

Profile Quote
balasharkboy
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:01 pm

If u just got a new aquarium u may be going through new aquarium syndrome...it happened to me i already went through the ammonia and nitrate phase

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: