unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Hermit Crab Shell

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
MrkFnd
Post subject: Hermit Crab Shell
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:41 am

My hermit crab has been in need of a new shell for some time. I found a shell in a collection of shells at my parents' house and stole it. However, when placed next to the hermit crab's shell it turned out to be much m uch larger than I expected. Unfortunately, the hermit crab seemed to be unable to wait for me to find a new one and about a week and a half ago occupied the very large shell. He seems to have been able to move it as he took it about halfway up the pile of live rock but now he has been there for nearly a week! Every now and again he lifts up the shell and I can see his legs under so I know he is still alive. But I worry that he took on too much weight and now can't move. Does this happen? Could he just be moulting? Does Ned's sell hermit crab shells? He seems to only like the smooth round ones (moon snail?) Old shell was about 1.5" diameter, new one is probably about 3" diameter. I am guessing one that is 2" would be a better fit.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:58 pm
Site Admin

we have lots of shells in different sizes

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
abwalker
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:19 pm

Perhaps you could put the hermit crab on the sand with the shell tipped up in a position that would allow him to lift himself out. Put other shells around that shell so he can lift out and hop in another without moving the heavy shell.

Worth a shot,
Abby

Abigail
Lowell, MA

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: