Fish-related discussions

New 20H tank....some questions

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
ccmd00d
Post subject: New 20H tank....some questions
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:56 am

Ned,

Two weeks ago I bought a small fish tank (20H) and would like to have a small community of Tanganyika cichlids. I have now been to 4 stores in Rhode Island and everyone is tell me to do different things with the water. I found this site through cichlid-forum.com and plan on making the trip up to your store this weekend. Before I come I want to tell you what is set up so far and would like water suggestion changes i can make this week.

Tank is a 20H with crushed shells and gravel i believe on the bottom. Water is at 78 degress F. I had the water last tested on Sunday (dont remember exact figures, but ph was good, however he said nitrates and ammionia was still high. When i first set up the take I had put about 20 guppies in it, there are maybe 6 left (i was told by one storekeeper he does not know why someone suggested to put guppies in and probably why i have a higher ammionia level). I have not added the cichlid lake salt yet. So...

1.)Should I add the lake salt this week before bringing it to you to test?

2.) Should I remove this guppies this week?

3.)Will you have small Tanganyika cichlids in stock this weekend that will work with my 20H? I saw in a previous post you mentioned some that live in the higer levels of the tank...

4.) About how many fish do you expect to put in a 20H?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Derek

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:20 pm
Site Admin

Tank is a 20H with crushed shells and gravel i believe on the bottom. Water is at 78 degress F. GOOD.
I had the water last tested on Sunday (dont remember exact figures, but ph was good, however he said nitrates and ammionia was still high. BAD, CHANGE AT LEAST HALF THE WATER>
When i first set up the take I had put about 20 guppies in it, there are maybe 6 left THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE DIED, BUT DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT NOW.
(i was told by one storekeeper he does not know why someone suggested to put guppies in and probably why i have a higher ammionia level).
I have not added the cichlid lake salt yet. CHANGE ALOT OF WATER , THEN ADD THE CICHLID SALT ACCORDING TO THE DIRECTIONS ON THE JAR.

So...

1.)Should I add the lake salt this week before bringing it to you to test? YES....after the water change

2.) Should I remove this guppies this week? IF THEY ARE HEALTHY JUST LEAVE THEM IN.

3.)Will you have small Tanganyika cichlids in stock this weekend that will work with my 20H? YES>
I saw in a previous post you mentioned some that live in the higer levels of the tank... YOU PROBABLY MEAN CYPRICHROMIS, nice fish

4.) About how many fish do you expect to put in a 20H? AHH, SOMETHING LIKE A DOZEN.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
ccmd00d
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:18 pm

Thanks for the reply....I took out 50% of the water today and replaced it also adding the cichlid lake salt. Do you think the water will be ready this weekend or should i come to the store the following weekend?

Thanks

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:03 pm
Site Admin

main thing to look for is ICK
on the guppys
(looks like sugar crystals stuck on random places on their bodys)
see the ICK section in this forum "care and feeding questions"

you are probably good to go
cichlids are easy
bring about a half pint of your tank water
and in a different container
bring us
a half pint of your tap water
...we'd like to test it

ideal temperature for young tanganyika cichlids is 80 degrees F.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
ccmd00d
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:44 am

Guppies look good, thanks for the help..I will drop by the store on saturday or sunday.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: