unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

copper problems, algae problems

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Julie
Post subject: copper problems, algae problems
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi, I'm having a problem with my tank that I can't seem to solve. When I first set up my tank almost a year ago I used tap water without knowing it had copper in it. I have tried unsuccessfully to get rid of it. I tried using some poly filter pad and I do regular water changes (not with tap water) and I've seen no change in the copper level.
If you remember in the past I had problems with all my snails dying....the copper turned out to be the problem. So anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of any quicker ways to get rid of it. Other than the copper, my water qualities seem to stay very good.
My other problem is the algae. Because I can't put any snails in, the algae is always out of control. I have very little light, just what you had recommended for a fish only tank. However, I can't keep up with the algae. If I can't get any snails, are there any other recommendations on how to keep some of the algae away? I know some algae is ok, but I clean the tank and a few days later all the rocks and glass are covered with red and green (not hair) algae. Thanks! Julie

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:03 pm
Site Admin

Hi, I'm having a problem with my tank that I can't seem to solve. When I first set up my tank almost a year ago I used tap water without knowing it had copper in it. I have tried unsuccessfully to get rid of it. I tried using some poly filter pad and I do regular water changes (not with tap water) and I've seen no change in the copper level. I WOULD RE-TEST.
If you remember in the past I had problems with all my snails dying....the copper turned out to be the problem. So anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of any quicker ways to get rid of it. Other than the copper, my water qualities seem to stay very good. MIGHT NEED TO GET RID OF THE GRAVEL OR LIVE ROCK, BUT RE-TEST FOR SURE.
My other problem is the algae. Because I can't put any snails in, the algae is always out of control. I have very little light, just what you had recommended for a fish only tank. HOW MUCH LIGHT, WHAT SIZE TANK, HOW LONG IS THE LIGHT ON ???
However, I can't keep up with the algae. If I can't get any snails, are there any other recommendations on how to keep some of the algae away? ALGAE BLENNYS, TANGS, FOXFACES.I know some algae is ok, but I clean the tank and a few days later all the rocks and glass are covered with red and green (not hair) algae.
BRING US AN 8 OUNCE TAPWATER SAMPLE, AN 8 OUNCE TANK WATER SAMPLE, AND A GOOD AMMOUNT OF BOTH KINDS OF ALGAES.
I'M ASSUMING YOU MEAN SALTWATER.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: