big goldfish in planted tank

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
Admin
Post subject: big goldfish in planted tank
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:48 pm
Site Admin

big goldfish in planted tank

Ideally, I would like to get something for my tank that will eat all of the rotting leaves and other "gunk" at the bottom of my tank,
shouldn't have any
as well as the algae that is on the plant leaves (mainly brown stuff on the leaves,
that is diatom, normal, we usually use Oto Cats or Borneo _
some green on the glass though too).
normal, we usually use Oto Cats or Borneo _...also
My goldfish tends to occassionally tear off leaves from the plants,
he is a herbivore (omnivore)
where it falls to the bottom and starts decaying. I don't have (and don't intend to have) a perfectly aquascaped tank, and I don't mind a little nibbling on the plants, but I don't want the plants to be completely decimated.
probably impossible

Anyhow, I'm not sure what would be a good solution--i've heard that siamese algae eaters are a must for planted tanks because they eat varieties of algae that other fish won't eat.
brush algae (aka black beard... also we sell a special livebearer that eats it)
I've also heard that oto's are the best algae eaters for planted tanks since they won't harm plants, but I've also read that goldfish can eat oto's.
correct
Although I'm not even sure whether or not I would even be able to add other fish to my tank because of the size of the tank and/or temperament of the fish. I've read mixed things about snails, some people say certain varieties will only eat the rotting leaves, while others will say that the same variety ate all of their plants. I've read mainly positive things about malaysian trumpet snails,
pond snails also are mostly harmless
but I'm hesitant to add something that may reproduce like crazy, plus if it doesn't work out it would be difficult to get rid of them.
bring em back here or throw em away
I also read that certain varieties of shrimp might work, but I don't really know very much about them.
Ammano shrimp are great but a big fish would eat them

In short big goldfish shouldn't go in a "planted aquarium"
but
they go best in "an aquarium with a plant in it"

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”