Fish-related discussions

Growing plants in aragonite

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Jul
Post subject: Growing plants in aragonite
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:49 pm

Hey,

I was just wondering if anybody has ever had any luck with establishing plants (and what plants) in pure aragonite, pH greater than 8, KH greater than 10, no CO2 injection (forget about why anybody would want to do this...).

Jul

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:13 pm
Site Admin

certainly Valisneria, probably Sagitaria and Swords (Echinodorous)

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Jul
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:55 pm

From the lack of response I take it not too many people bother trying.

Yes, in my experience valisneria, sagitaria, but also crypts do ok. Egeria Densa also does particularly well. Unfortunately I've never found the right balance where the plants outcompete the algae (hair, brush, but also cyanobacteria, which is a really a beast in this tank) and I eventually replace smothered plants with new ones from my planted tank. Been trying for a year now (various amount of fertilization, light, water changes, etc), one thing I haven't done is CO2 injection. It's possible to achieve useful CO2 levels and keep the pH above 7.6 with a high KH (I've had a happy community of tanganyikans in there), I've just balked at the expense. Thought maybe someone out there had done it. Oh well...

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:59 pm
Site Admin

I think the nuisance algaes are not a result of the higher pH
just the result of a lack of scavengers

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
grayMatters
Post subject: Valisneria
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:07 am

I have a 30 gal tank with a 96W power compact bulb (6700K?) and aragonite. It has Valisneria, which grows like a weed.

Profile Quote
tl64
Post subject: Hard Water Plants
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi,

I've had a few Tanganyikan tank setups.I also experienced bad brush algae growth in 2 of the 3.The 3rd tank also had some brush algae too.I don't test my water often but the conditions were similiar to yours.The 2 tanks w/wicked brush algae growth were overstocked and overfed which was part of the problem.
The tanks were low-light-1-1.5 watts per gallon.Java fern and Anubias did fairly well attached to rocks.Never put in the substrate of smooth,crushed coral and sand mix.One tank did have an aragonite substrate for a short time w/same results.IMO-The aragonite is a better East African hard water substrate.My slow growing JavaFern/Anubias would collect some brush algae and would need frequent(for them) pruning.
I agree w/trying Val's.I've seen them planted in aragonite in several tanks and it did well.I would try Watersprite.For some reason I can't keep it alive for long in any tank.It needs fairly stronglight.It is probably one of the best nutrient sponges and may solve or help the algae problem.The other plus is,it grows floating and planted just as well.I drool when I see people bringing in big bags of Watersprite to auctions.I'd give up every plant I can grow and only keep Watersprite if I had the choice.
You could also try planting in shallow tupperw*re type containers filled w/Flour*te or Laterite.Surrond the container w/the substrate and maybe some rockwork.
After looking at some of those pictures by Sam,I miss my Tanganyikans(excellent photos).Anyway,Good luck w/whatever you try. Tom

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: