unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

What else can I add (safely)?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
unstable
Post subject: What else can I add (safely)?
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:46 pm

Quote:
equipment
-35 gallon hex
-Fluval 305 canister
-protein skimmer
- > 20 lbs. live rock
- 20 lbs. live sand
Quote:
current stock
-(2) damsels
-(2) clowns
-(1) goby
As stated in another thread the tank has been up and running since October 21st. All the levels look good and I haven't needed to tweak anything.

I'm looking for recommendations on other cool guys I can throw in here. I'm also wondering if maybe I could get something that I can keep for awhile until it matures/outgrows my tank that I can trade in but enjoy for awhile (fish don't grow THAT fast do they?).

Any insight/recommendations/laughs/jokes etc. would be appreciated.

and yes I'd like to get a bigger tank eventually...this is my trial run with marine.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:45 pm
Site Admin

-(2) damsels
-(2) clowns
-(1) goby

among other things you could add:

Tiger Trochus Snails $5 ea
Astrea Snails $3.50 ea
Nassarius Snails $3.50 ea

Burgundy Starfish $30 ea
Sand Sifting Stars $30 ea

Red & Yellow Cleaner Shrimp $36 ea

Sea Cucumber Yellow $14 ea

Chalk Bass $32 ea
Royal Gramma $25 ea
Tabaco Bass $32 ea

Algae Blenny $25 ea

Firefish midwater schooling goby $19 ea
Dragonet Green Mandarin $25 ea

Yellowhead Jawfish $30 ea
Yellow Watchman goby $25 ea
Spinecheek goby $30 ea

Twinspot goby $25 ea
Antenna High Fin Goby $25 ea
Twinspot Hog med $50
Pseudochromis Magenta Dottyback $19 ea
Valentine Puffer $25 ea

Sea Grass Wrasse $40 ea
Six Line Wrasse $29 ea

some gobys and jaws fight with each other
so like any aquarium
you have to pick and choose your favorite
and leave out something it is likely to fight with

which goby do you have already?

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
randomrambler
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:36 pm

I'd probably just stick to inverts/maybe an algae eating blenny or something. Hex tanks don't really have as much surface area, which is key to oxygen content. If you want something interesting without adding much to the bio-load, try going for a pistol shrimp/goby pair.

Nate

Profile Quote
unstable
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:24 pm

I'll have to find out what kind of goby it is...if I can't figure it out I'll post a picture. I bought him from your shop, he was in one of the end tanks.

It does look like I have a good amount of options available and I thank you for taking the time to type those out.

I do realize the hex tank doesn't have much surface area and it cuts down on the gas exchange. I would like to move up to a larger tank however; I like how the hex tank fits into a nice little corner of my living room. I've seen plenty of larger tanks on Ebay and such that I could pick up for a reasonable price but I'm not sure where I could put it to get it looking nice. That's where a larger acrylic tank that I could put in the corner would be nice but again the gas exchange would be an issue.

In any case, I'm having fun with the small saltwater setup that I do have. It was actually my wifes idea but somehow I get stuck doing all of the maintenance and research. :roll:

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:01 pm
Site Admin

I do not suggest acrylic for a saltwater tank
(it traps heat)

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
TheFishGuy
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:36 pm

I second Ned's opinion on acrylic. Stay away from it. They are available for cheap prices for a reason. They are fine for freshwater, but for saltwater they are a nightmare. Being as careful as you can, the acrylic over time will still start to look foggy.

TheFishGuy
P.O. Box 2453
Framingham MA 01703
508-314-1992
www.the-fish-guy.com

Profile Quote
unstable
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 pm

and there is still that issue of the gas exchange with the odd-ball shaped tanks.

I just don't really have a place to put a rectangular tank that would look good in the house. Call me crazy but I don't see the point in having an awesome tank if it just doesn't fit in somewhere.

On another note, I went to Las Vegas last week and went to a few aquariums there. They have an amazing setup at Mandalay Bay with all sorts of different stuff. I'll post some pictures at some point.

There's also a Cafe' in the MGM Grand called "Rainforest Cafe'" and they have some pretty cool tanks. I don't think I took any pictures of there though.

They had two huge cylindrical tanks connected to each other to form an arch you could walk under. The fish could swim from one tank to the other. It was interesting though because we did see a few fish swim over the arch but they seemed kind of stressed out about it. They definitely didn't like hanging out in the arch/tube connecting the two tanks.

Profile Quote
TheFishGuy
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:04 pm

There is also a Rainforrest cafe in the Burlington mall. The gas exchange is not really an issue if you have proper filtration and flow. The only time I have seen an issue is when using a canister filter with no other water movement and a tight sealed top with corals in the tank.

TheFishGuy
P.O. Box 2453
Framingham MA 01703
508-314-1992
www.the-fish-guy.com

Profile Quote
unstable
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Hopefully when I go up to pick up my lights I can chat with Ned about this, but when you mentioned "tightly fitting hood" it got me a little concerned.

I know that a hex tank doesn't have optimal gas exchange to begin with, being that it's tall and not very long, which doesn't expose much of the surface water to the air.

I currently have a hood that doesn't fit correctly. It appears to be for a bigger hex than I have. This hasn't been much of an issue for the most part except for aesthetics and salt creep. The water evaporates, seeps down the hood that overhangs the edge of the tank and leaks outside onto the glass.

As I mentioned somewhere here on the forum--I can have a buddy of mine at work waterjet a piece of lexan/fiberglass to fit nicely. I think this will be necessary anyways when I install the new lighting fixture because the pictures I seen online it sits on the rim of the tank and stands several inches above the hood.

I'll obviously have cut-outs in the lexan to allow for my skimmer, heater and filter lines...but do you think/feel it is necessary or adviseable to punch additional holes in the lexan for gas exchange? The waterjet machine can cut pretty much any design into the material that I request.

The only part that I'm still working through is a hinged door.

Profile Quote
TheFishGuy
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:57 pm

I would say with the number of cut outs you are planning, that will be enough to allow for air. The hinged door is easy. Just cut the first quarter of the top in a strsaight line and buy a piece of top hinge from ned to fit the width of glass you are using.

TheFishGuy
P.O. Box 2453
Framingham MA 01703
508-314-1992
www.the-fish-guy.com

Profile Quote
unstable
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:20 pm

TheFishGuy wrote:
buy a piece of top hinge from ned to fit the width of glass you are using.
what is "top hinge"?

I gave my buddy a template of the top of the tank and he cut out a piece of wood to make sure it fit right...it didn't, so he cut another piece today for me to try tonight. I'm crossing my fingers that this one fits nicely and I can get the fiberglass cut tomorrow. If I need to put an additional cut on this to provision for the "top hinge" now would be the time.

Also have to call Ned tomorrow to find out the story on the light and when it will arrive...He must be getting lonely up in his shop because he wants me and my annoying questions to come pick the lights up (and buy more goodies for the tank of course).

This aquarium stuff is addicting...Between my stand and this custom-hood it's almost like "Pimp My Tank".

Profile Quote
TheFishGuy
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:49 pm

wait until you REALLY get into the hobby and upgrade your tank. It only gets better from here.
The top hinge is a piece that allows the plexi to slip into on both sides holding it together, but allowing you to flip the top open. You can also purchase the handle that sticks to the front to lift it.
When you go to Ned's ask him to show you both of these. They are both cheap items.

TheFishGuy
P.O. Box 2453
Framingham MA 01703
508-314-1992
www.the-fish-guy.com

Profile Quote
tl64
Post subject: Ned and Ned's Location
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:10 am

Hey,

Just my 2 cents............It is well worth the trip.Tons of stuff you
will not always see in other shops.
I have not been for a while but have driven from Chelsea(75 mins.)
dozens of times.
I'm sure you will pick up some great ideas from looking at his setups and get good advice.

Tom

Profile Quote
unstable
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:39 pm

Tom,

I've been up to Neds once...and it was cool. I'm just a bumm and I hate the long drive :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “Compatibility Questions”
Jump to: