unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Fish Swam Into Filter...disappeared??

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
gfunk
Post subject: Fish Swam Into Filter...disappeared??
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:55 pm

Hello..I had a small Botia shark that swim into the OUT FLOW Nozzle of my Magnum 350 Filter. I noticed him kind of sitting in the out flow, Not sure if he was alive or dead. When I stuck a net in their to get him out he went in....very wierd because it was not the intake in was the out flow, so there was no suction. To make matters worse I can't find in the filter tubing anywhere or in the filter...he seems to hade DISAPPEARED (there is only one other part of the tubing that he could be, but I don't think he is in there, assuming that he is in there somewhere, I am concerned about amonia build up now??? Any recomendations, should I be worried about a dead decaying small sized botia shark some where in my system??

Is it possible that he sort of desinagrated and will not cause any harm to my tank?

FYI
I have a 90 gallon malawai tank with a Fluval 404 and a magnum, 350 with double bio-wheels attached....All water perameters are great 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10ppm nitrate ph 8

about 25 fish in the tank

I am concerned I may get an ammonia spike now as I can't find this dead fish??? sorry for the long post, I'm just very confused

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: do'oh ! stupid fish
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:45 pm
Site Admin

the only way to avoid that in the future would to be
to have the return above the water level
or
use a spray bar

He thought he was swimming upstream

A tiny dead fish in 90 gallons of water shouldn't make a difference
as far as ammonia goes

it's a good idea to test for ammonia periodically anyway
1 part per million is not that bad
if it gets as high as 2 ppm
change at least half the water

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
gfunk
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:04 pm

Thanks Ned...

after a period of time will that fish eventually deacay away..and not cause me a problem or will it be in their for a long time decaying and causing ammonia??

BTW The wild caught Tanzanian Alunocara that I just got from you are doing great...great color on the male..seems very happy in the tank.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: