Fish-related discussions

Dosing anthelmintics in planted tank with Amano Shrimps

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Jul
Post subject: Dosing anthelmintics in planted tank with Amano Shrimps
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:13 pm

Hello,

We have recently had a neon dying of what we suspect to be internal worm infestation (belly swelling gradually to the point of bursting open). First of all I'd be interested to hear if anybody has any comment on the diagnostic. The fish was removed and euthanized.
Now two days later we have six other tetras (neons, diamond, rummy-nose) whose bellys are visibly swollen (rasboras and danios don't seem to be affected so far). The adequate treatment would seem to be praziquantel, which is toxic to shrimps. The tank is heavily planted and contains Amano Shrimps (possible source of contamination, since they're wild and were the last addition to the tank, we haven't introduced fishes in months). Dosing the tank might kill the shrimps (very undesirable) and removing the visibly affected fish might not solve the problem. Removing the shrimps is probably impossible. Any suggestions anyone?

Jul

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:11 am
Site Admin

I would remove the 6 sick fish

I also doubt your results of the cause of the problem, but it's possible the shrimps brought in a pathogen (unlikely)

wild guess, kidney failure from food poisoning
check your food quality
no way to know really

in any case
removing the affected fish will do a couple good things
- remove the carriers
- putting them in a seperate tank will be easier to dose, water change and re-dose

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
tl64
Post subject: Internal Parasites
Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:22 am

The swollen abdomen could be caused by several diseases/parasites.In my experience w/internal parasites,the fish
usually will have white feces,they may breath heavy and make sudden movements.Left untreated,they will stop eating and a bacterial infection will soon follow.
Metronidazole is another med. for internal parasites.It is one of the safer drugs.It can be used in the water and mixed w/food.Some co.'s make medications that contain both metron. and
praz. meds.Another option is fluke tabs.These contain another medication for parasites(internal and external).Fluke tabs are very strong and will effect the biological filtration.
I have found very few diseases that can easily be diagnosed and treated(Ick. is one).
I have 2 good books on fish diseases and just picked up a 3rd one at Petsmart(think it was about $10).This book is excellent.
I would read up on fish diseases and then treat.Do as many water changes as you can while treating sick fish.Remember to add the proper amount of meds. back to the replacement water.
Many wild caught fish(and I suppose shrimp) come in w/heavy internal parasite loads and or gill flukes.Both are very difficut to treat.I don't think thats your problem though. Good Luck Tom

Profile Quote
tl64
Post subject: Internal Parasites
Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:53 pm

One more thing............I doubt very much that in 2 days, parasites
would effect 6 fish that quickly.
You are probably dealing w/some type of bacterial infection.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: