unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Red Zebra

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
timk
Post subject: Red Zebra
Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:06 pm

I have a large red zebra that has started to isolate himself from the rest of the tank. He normally swam with the rest of the tank, usually pretty active an agressive, voracious eater.

Lately he tends to spend a lot of time in and around a cave I have set up. He comes out and swims around the area of the cave, then goes back in. Often stands gaurd at the opening to the cave. He seems indifferent to food - he'll eat a little here and there, but nothing substantial and not aggressively eating. He's not lethargic, but he just seems lazy and "bored" with the whole fish life.

Any thoughts?

(yes, I know I'm humanizing his behavior, but I can't think of any other way to describe it.)

Profile Quote
mako
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:41 pm

Maybe if you move the rocks and caves around in the tank , he might spark up. If he doesnt, it might be sick.... hope not.. good luck

TOM A.

If tamiya could make a rc fish ,I would be in heaven.....

Profile Quote
tl64
Post subject: Red Zebra
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:56 pm

I would start off doing a few things that will not harm the
other fish.Do a larger water change 1/3 plus.Raising the water
temperature a little wouldn't hurt.It will increase the fishes
metabolism making it more likely to eat.
Watch the fish closely for signs of disease both physical and
behavioral(scratching,gasping etc.).
I don't know about the "lazy and bored" part-Maybe Zoloft

Good Luck

Profile Quote
upon
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:10 am

Maybe he's just growing up? Once my fish achieved full growth, they ate less and lost a lot of their crazy energy- much like a teenage boy who hits age 20 or so. I think the other ideas people gave are good, but maybe there's nothing wrong with your zebra at all.

As for humanizing the fish, I have to say that it shocked me when I realized that these guys have ideas and feelings. They're maybe not as complicated as ours, but they get jealous and hold grudges, and some kinds won't mate with another even if there's no one else to mate with. Sometimes they just don't like the other fish. Some of them even love their babies- that is, they care about them so much that they'll fight someone big or go without eating to protect the young. Okay, so they're not people, but they're thinking about *something* in those tiny brains of theirs.

Profile Quote
timk
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:42 pm

turns out it was bloat. he just didn't do the "bloat" part until it was too late. :cry: Gave me an excuse to go to Ned's though.

Profile Quote
mako
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:11 pm

Man , I thought I was the greatest fish keeper ever. Never had bloat in any of my tanks .Fed the fish the same stuff , tons of water changes. Then wham, bloat kills my two female fire haps. Sorry for your loss. Good luck .

TOM A.

If tamiya could make a rc fish ,I would be in heaven.....

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: