unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Starting a pressurized CO2 system

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
mjs
Post subject: Starting a pressurized CO2 system
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:46 pm

Hi, I've been reading here and elsewhere online about pressurized CO2 systems for a planted tank. I'm wondering where to go for getting the bits and pieces. I've been doing the DIY yeast CO2 production for a while now, and have tired of that novelty. It is time consuming, messy, and frankly sometimes smelly. I'm in Medway.

Ned do you sell CO2 tanks, regulators, solenoids etc? I'm willing to cobble together the parts from Home Depot, online/eBay, or brew supply stores (I recall there is one in Marlboro, MA). Where to get a tank refilled? I'd probably get a 5lb tank.

Also, I'd like to diffuse the CO2 into the tank via an inline external CO2 reactor hooked into my canister filter. The goal here being to hide the apparatus under my tank rather than setting something up in the tank itself. Does anyone have a source for such an item, or is DIY okay?

Thanks for any pointers, advice, and shopping lists.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:19 pm
Site Admin

well
all we really did was get a Milwaukee co2 system on line...
many mail order places sell them...
we got the most expensive one with the solenoid, regulator, and bubble counter...
then for an in-tank bubble disperser we used a tiny hagen submersible power filter (which we usually stock here)...
then we picked up the co2 bottle at a welding supply company in framingham....
that's about it
(when I say we , I mean The NEAPS club and Karen Randall, but we watched and learned)
we'd be happy to get all that going for you if you want...
give us a call...
we also sell the lighting and the eco-Complete planted Substrate at low mark up...

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
fishmommy
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:09 pm

I got my ph controller and solenoid online
and CO2 compatible tubing

the tank and regulator I got from an industrial gas supply place. beverage grade CO2 is what you want

since I use a PH controller, I just run a micro-bubble airstone and no bubble counter.

Profile Quote
NicholeR
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:21 pm

fishmommy wrote:
I got my ph controller and solenoid online
and CO2 compatible tubing

the tank and regulator I got from an industrial gas supply place. beverage grade CO2 is what you want

since I use a PH controller, I just run a micro-bubble airstone and no bubble counter.
Did you get a needle valve? If not, you'll definitely want one. Electric solenoids have a high tendency to fail. If it fails open, you'll dump your whole tank of CO2 as fast as it can get through the tubing. You can be sure it will kill your fish. Needle valves help prevent that by providing an extra "gate" through which the CO2 has to pass. Also, a standard regulatory does not have very good fine control capability. You're going to have a very tough time regulating that thing. A needle valve, on the other hand, has very excellent fine control.

A bubble counter is also a really, really good idea.

Profile Quote
mjs
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:33 pm

Thanks for your replies. I'm still thinking about this undertaking...

I found Co2 tanks at a welding supply outfit in N. Attleboro and Framingham, as well as at a brew supply shop in Marlboro. I guess it depends now which direction I feel like driving. :) They all refill via a swap-out process. Leave a tank / take a tank, like you sometimes do for propane.

As for the other bits:

1. Does anyone have a preference or experience with regulators? I've seen JBJ and Milwaukee packages online fairly equally priced. The JBJ is a dual gauge, solenoid regulator, w/needle valve and bubble counter w/integrated check valve. The Milwaukee is the same deal minus the check valve from what I can tell. I'm interested to hear if there is a higher precision capability or failure rate with either one, or if I'm just splitting hairs and it doesn't matter.

2. CO2 tubing - I can find that online easy enough.

3. pH Controller - I'm thinking about the green Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller to automate things. I can't figure out how big a deal it is to calibrate this thing, and if that requires an additional purchase of calibration solutions. The whole thing sounds beneficial to me, but also complicated. Is it worthwhile? I don't really relish the thought of repeated pH testing with tubes and dropper solutions. Ugh.

4. CO2 diffuser - I've thought about feeding the CO2 into my canister intake, but then I get to hear the rattle as the bubbles get spun around. So, I'm looking for a diffuser. I may very well try to make my own external, inline one (i.e. http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm or this one that looks cool http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... plans.html)
Has anyone done this before? I'd like to save some $$ and also do whatever I can to keep from introducing any hardware INTO my tank (i.e. not interested in powerheads or other internal diffusing solutions)

So any futher notes of interest by anyone out there would be greatly appreciated.

-mjs-

Profile Quote
abwalker
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:32 am

Hi mjs,

In response to some of your questions:

1. I use a Milwaukee regulator/solenoid/bubble counter set. I really like this unit, as it has been very reliable. However!! I ruined a solenoid because I wasn't using a check valve and had a little back siphoning incident when a tank ran out. I had planned to get a check valve when I set up the system, but forgot, and figured I had some time before I risked losing gas pressure, then forgot again. Oops. I had to order a new solenoid, which was a bit of a pain in the tukus (sp?) to get seated properly. The JBJ might be worthwile in this regard, and the general concensus amoung the plant forums is that they are about equal as far as reliability.

3. I calibrate my pH probe about once every two weeks and it takes all of about two minutes.... less if I could learn to put the fluids back in the same place after time I use them. I calibrate before I start getting funky readings. I had to replace the probe earlier than expected, but I also let it dry out while moving and it was never the same again. I replaced it with a higher quality gel filled probe from our lab supplier (low grade for science, ~$35) and incased it it some black 1" I.D. acrylic tubing to avoid algae growth. I think that shortened the life of my first probe as well.
Do reference my previous post about pH controllers about the danger of relying on a controller. Get and set a bubble counter and use a controller as a back up and handy monitor.

4. I run the gas into my cannister. I've also used a venturi-type power head to do the "mist" method that has become popular on alot of the plant boards, especially amoung the "Estimative Index" crowd. Do some searches on Aquatic Plant Central, and The Barr Report if these topics are unfamiliar... plenty of confusion to wade through there. I was happy with both methods. I have never done an inline rxter. I can see the value, as long as the contraption is easy to access. As far as the noise from running into a power head or cannister... if the cannister is in a stand, you won't notice it. If your run it into a power head, you might. Its certainly not a loud or distracting noise, just different from the typical water noises that the tank usually makes. I like to hear it... lets me know the bubbles are working right without opening the stand. Frankly, I think my ears are my best sense when it comes to the mechanical aspects of my fish systems...

HTH,
Abby

Abigail
Lowell, MA

Profile Quote
NicholeR
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:05 am

I have a Milwaukee regulator/solenoid/bubble counter setup as well. I would stay away from any JBJ products, if I were you. Cheap Chinese knock-offs with sub-standard components.

Had I known about these before I bought my Milwaukee, I would have purchased a Rex Grigg setup regulatory/solenoid/bubble counter instead. Here's a link to his site: http://www.rexgrigg.com/sale.html Top notch build quality...even better than the Milwaukee units.

I would also suggest you read his entire site. He really takes you step by step through setting up and caring for a planted tank. He has a DIY section, as well. He's a bit of a colorful character. :)

You will definitely need calibration solutions for your pH meter. Dr. Foster's & Smith is one of the few places I know you can get them. I calibrate my pH meter about once a month. Calibration really isn't a big deal...dip the probe in the solution an adjust the meter, if necessary.

Piping CO2 directly into a cannister intake is asking for trouble. Most cannister filters REALLY don't like air in them, and they're likely to airlock on you. I use the tiny little filter that Ned talks about above. It works really, really well. But, if you don't want anything else inside your tank, then an external CO2 reactor is your safest bet. Rex Grigg's site also includes info for a DIY CO2 reactor made from PVC...easy to handle and easy to find parts for.

Profile Quote
mjs
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:46 am

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

I have ordered the Milwaukee regulator combo and pH controller, and this weekend built myself an external CO2 reactor based on designs above using PVC and fittings found at Lowes.

I'm looking forward to hooking everything up.

mjs

Profile Quote
fishmommy
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:20 am

good luck :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: