unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Switching to planted tank, can it be done?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
ELM
Post subject: Switching to planted tank, can it be done?
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:35 pm

Just wanted some advice:

72 gal freshwater tank. I'm thinking about starting to add live plants. I have no idea how to start except the few things I've read online. Fish include: 3 silver dollars, 1 clown pleco, 2 clown loaches, 2 cory cats, 2 bala sharks, and 3 platys. I've read that my silver dollars will eat all the plants, and not to bother. True?

Also, what kind of lighting, substrate, etc? And is a CO2 pump necessary, or will additives be ok?

If all seems ok to go ahead with a planted tank, tips on how to switch it over? Do I need to drain the tank, and if so, what to do with the fish?
Thanks!

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:09 pm
Site Admin

72 gal freshwater tank. GOOD

I'm thinking about starting to add live plants. GOOD.

I have no idea how to start except the few things I've read online.
FINE.

Fish include:
3 silver dollars, MUST GO BACK TO NED'S (or some other tank)
1 clown pleco, SHOULD GO BACK TO NED'S
2 clown loaches, SOME QUESTION...TO MAKE IT EASIEST THESE SHOULD GO BACK TO NED'S
2 cory cats, KEEP THESE IN PLANTED TANK
2 bala sharks, PROBABLY OKAY UNLESS VERY BIG
and 3 platys. KEEP THESE IN PLANTED TANK
I've read that my silver dollars will eat all the plants, and not to bother. True? YES ...TRUE

Also,
what kind of lighting,
RULE OF THUMB: 1.5 - 2.5 WATTS PER GALLON

SO: ON A 72 GALLON:

option a)
A TRIPLE BULB FLORESCENT STRIP WOULD GIVE YOU 1.66 WATTS PER GALLON $154

option b)
A DOUBLE 65 WATT POWER COMPACT WOULD GIVE YOU 1.8 WATTS PER GALLON

option c) this would look awesome:
2) CUR 20” SUNPOD 1X70W 14K HQI $300 each ($600 total) you'd have to hang 'em somehow
THIS WOULD GIVE YOU 1.95 WATTS PER GALLON

option d) ALSO:
A 2x96watt Retro Kit WOULD GIVE YOU 2.66 WATTS PER GALLON
like the option above, you'd have to do some do-it-yourselfing

IF YOU GO WITH REGULAR FLORESCENT (option a)
I'd put in 1 or 2 ZOO MED FLORA SUN and/or ULTRA SUN BULBS
instead of the pink bulbs provided
(this sounds like the simplest and easiest)

IF YOU GO WITH THE Power Compacts (option b & option d)
I'd put in "Dual daylight" (half 10000k & half 6700k)

IF YOU GO WITH THE 70 watt METAL HALIDES (option c)
it might be a little hard to find the best color bulb...
we are looking for about 6700k to 8800k (some debate)
the bulb provided is 14000k (quite BLUE especially in HQI)
I know I can get it in 10000k (slightly too blue)
and possibly in 3000k (way too yellow anyway)

did you get all that?...they'll be a quiz aftr school for extra credit

substrate, etc?
THE FAVORITE RIGHT NOW IS ECO COMPLETE PLANTED AQUARIUM SUBSTRATE,
this is VERY EASY to use...doesn't even run dusty...
pretty expensive, the plant club used 10 bags at $21 per bag in my custom 90 gallon (6 square feet)
YOUR 72 BOW FRONT TANK IS ABOUT 5.5 SQUARE FEET

Many other options, such as regular silica sand
(different grain sizes available, $15 per 50 pounds, you'd probably want 100-150 pounds)
PLUS Laterite (iron rich clay) maybe 2 boxes at around $20 per box

And is a CO2 pump necessary, or will additives be ok?
WE LIKE PRESSURIZED CO2 FOR A LARGE TANK LIKE YOURS,
BUT I'M TOLD SOME PRODUCTS LIKE
Seachem(?) Excel(?) work to provide carbon for the plants.
IF YOU ARE DOING THE HEAVY LIGHTING,
YOU MUST GET CO2 IN SOME FORM.
CO2 IS BENEFICIAL WITH ANY AMMOUNT OF LIGHT.

If all seems ok to go ahead with a planted tank, tips on how to switch it over? Do I need to drain the tank, FOR SURE

and if so, what to do with the fish? THE FISH WILL BE SAFE IN A BUCKET WITH AN AIRSTONE FOR A COUPLE HOURS WHILE YOU SET UP.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:20 pm
Site Admin

you should also know:

there is the planted aquarium

and

there is the aquarium with a plant in it

...we sell many (mostly) species of plants
that do fine with normal lighting and no CO2 system
provided the fish species the plants live with
do not consume the plants

(fish make CO2)

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
ELM
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:51 am

thanks ned, that is awesome. I appreciate all the help!!!

:)

Profile Quote
alextal
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:17 am

about 2-3 years ago, when I didn't know any better, I put some plants in my tank with silver dollars in it. I didn't realize the science or the art behind the planted tank. My silver dollars got about 20 bucks worth of a salad. They must have really enjoyed it as they ate every bit of plant in that tank. Kinda funny actually.

Profile Quote
upon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:05 am

Admin wrote:
you should also know:

and

do not consume the plants

(fish make CO2)
I'm definitely an aquarium-with-plants kind of guy. I bought a $20 plant bulb and put maybe $20 worth of low-light plants in my 20 gallon tank. The ones I got are basically weeds. It changes the entire character of the tank to have plants in it, and I love them.

The tank contains about a billion fancy guppies (I started with four- you know how guppies are) and about 2 billion snails (which I didn't put in on purpose- they came with the plants).

The plants are:

Cryptocoryne wendtii (red). These are about a month old, but they're growing very well. They don't seem to mind my low light at all.

Java fern: These have been growing very slowly for about a month, but they are very green and bushy and healthy. These guys won't take root, though- I have to clip them on to rocks with rubber bands because they just drift around the tank. They don't float- they're marginally heavier than the water- but if a fish swims by with too much energy it'll take off.

Some kind of hygrophila- I think it is Hygrophila polysperma. I've had this thing for a year now and it's an incredible weed. It grew slowly until it was 6" or so, and then it took off, filling the aquarium. The only thing I don't like about this is that it spreads by forming these little tiny plants on the surface, and if I let the plant grow up to the surface, in no time at all the water is covered in a carpet of these little tiny plants that are very hard to scoop up- they're so small that they scoot away from nets. From time to time I just chop off huge chunks of it and throw them in the trash.

I don't even know what the last one is. It looks like some kind of anubias. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but it seems to be growing roots and sprouting leaves and it looks very durable. It's a pretty plant and I think I'm going to like this one a lot.

Plants which haven't done as well:

I also got some glossostigma from Ned, which require a great deal of attention and strong light. Those didn't do well at all. I've found that I like the plants but I don't have the patience to take much care of them. In Ned's shop they were a graceful, swaying carpet which formed a beautiful green mat. In my aquarium they turned stringy and long and got dug up in a couple of days. I wouldn't mind trying again with this one if I get a better light and gentler fish. I want them to look as good in my tank as they looked in his. :-) The glossostigma is all dead now.

I have some micro-sword in there too. It seems to be surviving, but it's not thriving. I think the light isn't good enough for it. It's growing tall instead of thick, and it lost the bright green color it had when it was given to me. It's kind of pale looking now, and I'm not sure how it will do. I have a feeling this one will survive but never thrive in this tank.

Finally, I got java moss. I have learned that I hate java moss. It wouldn't take root (in either of my tanks) and it just kept floating around clogging up my filters. Even when I tied it to something, pieces broke off a little at a time. When I finally decided to get rid of it, I had trouble because there were individual strands of it everywhere. Besides, it's kind of ugly- a very dark-green color.

I have put all of these same plants into my 46 gallon tank. It has a 96W 6700K flourescent bulb- much better light than the 20G tank. I have some plants living in it, but they don't do well because I have cichlids in that one. They dig, they eat the plants, and they fight with each other by swimming in these tight little circles, and all this rough play breaks leaves off of all but the strongest plants. Right now in that tank I have:

A tuft of giant hairgrass barely clinging to life.

cryptocorine, which is growing slowly. The fish seem to break leaves off of this one as fast as they grow

A cutting from the hygrophila in the 20g tank. This one has been growing slowly, but I think it is finally reaching the stage now where it is going to take off.

Java fern: This took about six months to take off, but it finally seems to be growing well now.

Profile Quote
upon
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:07 am

Admin wrote:
you should also know:

and