unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Cloudy water, first white then green

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
ELM
Post subject: Cloudy water, first white then green
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:04 pm

I have a 72 gal freshwater aquarium, no plants (due to 3 silver dollars). Every time I clean the tank and filter (1x a month), it is clear water for 3 days then white cloudy water that progressively gets worse until the next change of water/filter. The cycle repeats. This time, the water was clear, then turned white cloudy, then green cloudy. All levels that I checked (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH) are ok.

The fish are fasting now. I don't think we were overfeeding but I could be wrong. The light is on for about 10 hours a day, we have 2 algea eaters and don't mind the algea on the glass, but we don't want this green water.

Suggestions on how to get the water clear again?

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:03 am
Site Admin

I have a 72 gal freshwater aquarium, no plants (due to 3 silver dollars). Every time I clean the tank and filter (1x a month), it is clear water for 3 days then white cloudy water
THE WHITE CLOUD IS "NEW TANK SYNDROME", YOU ARE OVER-CLEANING THE FILTER...DIRTY FILTER =CLEAR WATER.
that progressively gets worse until the next change of water/filter. The cycle repeats. This time, the water was clear, then turned white cloudy, then green cloudy.
THE GREEN IS PHYTOPLANKTON.
TOO MUCH LIGHT FOR THE CONDITIONS.
SUREST WAY TO GET RID OF GREEN WATER IS A UV STERILIZER, BARRING THAT,
WE SELL A GOOD PRODUCT CALLED KENT PRO-CLEAR..
PLUS, CUT THE LIGHT BACK.
All levels that I checked (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH) are ok.

The fish are fasting now.
THIS SOUNDS VERY BAD>
CHECK THE TANK TEMPERATURE
& THE FOOD QUALITY.
I don't think we were overfeeding but I could be wrong. The light is on for about 10 hours a day, we have 2 algea eaters and don't mind the algea on the glass, but we don't want this green water.
PROBABLY COME BY AND BRING A TAP WATER SAMPLE AND A TANK WATER SAMPLE, ABOUT 6 OUNCES OF EACH.

Suggestions on how to get the water clear again?
CHANGE MOST OF THE WATER.
DO NOT CLEAN THE FILTER.
ADD SOME PRO CLEAR & A BAG OF UNCLE NED'S GOOD DIRTY WATER.
TURN THE DAMN LIGHT OFF.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
ELM
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:26 pm

Thanks Ned!

The fish are ok- I meant I held off on feeding them for a day to see if there would be any impact, but since the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are fine, they had breakfast today.

I'll stop cleaning the filter/tank. You're right. Everyone says "clean the tank and filter depending on your conditions". I guess I'm not clear about that (hence the overcleaning). I'll let it be for a while and see how it goes.

And the damn light's off :)

Thanks again!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: