unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

feeding question

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
seanpatrick
Post subject: feeding question
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:10 pm

i have a shovelnose catfish that is currently about 8 inches long and is healthy...he is eating goldfish as of now, however i want to ween him off of the live and get him on something healthier since i know feeding live can cause all sorts of fish problems...so the question i had was how can i ween him off of the goldfish, and with what?...ive tried sinking shrimp pellets but he doesnt like them and also the other fish in the tank eat them before the shovelnose can get to them...so i was hoping somebody could give me some usefull advice on what to do and what to feed him..
thanks in advance
-sean

Profile Quote
redpaulhus
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:51 pm

What else do you have in there with him ?

I've always had good luck getting them to eat frozen foods - bloodworms are usually what I use first, then once they are eating those with gusto I start slowly mixing in plankton, mysids, krill, etc. (at 8" you might want to try going right to krill)

I usually don't feed them for a few days, then try the frozen either right before or after lights-out

Red

Profile Quote
seanpatrick
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:51 am

thanks a lot....o and i keep him with a couple of oscars who just love to eat anything that goes into the tank, but i will def try the frozen...thanks again
-sean

Profile Quote
abwalker
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:37 am

What worked for me was small shredded chunks of whitefish from the supermarket.... haddock, cod... whatever's cheap. Freshwater fish is probably more "natural" for them if you happen to be a fisherman with a catch still in your freezer. Just cube the fish and freeze, then its as easy as frozen krill (which never interested my fish). I also fed him (her?) earthworms occasionally.

With all these foods, I would feed after lights out... maybe significantly after lights out if it means the oscars are less likely to eat it first. Of course make sure to remove uneaten food, especially fresh fish. Eventually mine ate a variety of sinking dry food, but never wardley-type shrimp pellets.

Abigail
Lowell, MA

Profile Quote
seanpatrick
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:38 am

so i picked up some frozen shrimp from the super market and i cut it up for him and i dropped some in after i turned off the lights..he ate it right up and seemes to really enjoy it...then the other day i tried and "experiment" and tossed in a small chunk of chicken and he ate it right up...so it turns out hes not a very fussy eater...he doesnt care what it is..he just likes to eat
ooo and is there anything wrong with feeding him chicken?

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:25 am
Site Admin

no

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
seanpatrick