unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Couple saltwater newbie questions

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
darryn
Post subject: Couple saltwater newbie questions
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:19 pm

30 gallon,setup 5 months,all water checks good, fish, protein skimmer, water temp about 80, live rock,anemone, 5 hermit crabs, 2 snails,and peppermint shrimp all ok.

1)Getting a good amount of algae, first was bronwish/reddish, now also some green.. Any suggestions?

2) also noting a lot of "new" things that have appeared. a few little worm-looking things, almost look like little centipedes. I also see some tiny things that are alive and look like microscopic fish! Tiny and white almost like a tadpole. Any ideas on this one?

Profile Quote
drewsky
Post subject: Fish Not Newbie
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:35 pm

So far so good except for a few things:
1.) Your tank really should be in the low to mid 70's. (Warmer water = less oxygen)
2.) You have too few critters, especially snails. (You'll need around ten more snails too keep on top of that algae.
3.) As far as the worm/Centipede like things, those are called Bristle Worms (don't touch, very itchy). For the most part they are harmless unless they are huge (10"+) and are destroying corals. They actually oxygenate your sand and eat detritus off your rock.
4.) Those small white microscopic fish looking things are called Copeapods. They are in fact tiny micro inverts (shrimp) Having a great number of these are a very good thing. They are what truly makes you tank "live".
I hope this helped you out. If you have any other questions, I am at Uncle Ned's every Sunday. (Ask for Andrew)

darryn
Post subject: Thank You
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Thank you for fast reply! I will go turn down the heat maybe a quarter turn? I figured i needed a bigger cleaning crew, my crabs seem quite hardy, but i lost 3 out of 5 snails.

Warmer water less oxygen, got it.

Profile Quote
darryn
Post subject: Rookie mistake
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:50 pm

In fact, i now assume the line on my Marineland thermometer must have been a preset, i had it a quarter turn past the line to the + side. Maybe i will lose less water too ? It seemed i was adding a gallon twice a week.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:02 pm
Site Admin

I concur with my Andrew
get alot more snails or other algae eaters

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote