unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Help with cause of death (or CSI - Cichlidville)

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
fishtastic
Post subject: Help with cause of death (or CSI - Cichlidville)
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:42 am

I purchased a pair of pelvicachromis signatus at the NEC Convention last month. Upon getting them home I noticed that the male had what appeared to be a silght injury on the side of it's body - looked like it might have been in a battle so I dismissed it.

They spent 3 days in a quarrantine tank (with a bit of salt) with no appearance of illness. I moved the pair to the community tank which has been running for some time.

The injury on the male healed, but another one appeared on the other side. After about 3 weeks, it appeared as though he was losing scales on his sides, his fins seemed to be clamped (in distress?), and had a tiny (ulcer?) injury on the top of his head between his eyes (hole in head disease?)

His mate also shows some signs of ulceration or injury on her body as well, although not as severe as the male.

None of the other fish in the community tank have any appearance of injury or illness.

I moved the pair to a quarrantine tank on Friday and added MelaFix (1/2 tsp for a 5 gallon tank). The male died last night (after 2 days in quarrantine). :cry:

The female is still alive. It is entirely possible that the female caused the injuries because the male refused her advances (and boy did she color up NICE when trying to spawn) - but the pit in the top of his head concerns me. Should I be worried about the female and be treating her for something?

Any ideas?

- Amy

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: