unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Low Current Filter for a 5 gallon Betta tank?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Kecia
Post subject: Low Current Filter for a 5 gallon Betta tank?
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Hello there!

I am new to these forums. I found Uncle Neds while trying to research where I could find Amano Shrimp for my 5 gallon Betta Tank.

I plan on making a trip to the store on July 16 for plants and Amano Shrimp if they are in stock at the time.

My only fish is a betta named Rogue. I am enjoying owning a betta but my poor little guy is struggling against the current that his HOB filter is creating in his tank. The filter is meant to filter 2-15 gallon tanks. Do you know of a low current filter would be effective at filtering, allow me to cycle the tank and provide a gentler current for Rogue?

I've only had him for a week. In that time he has graduated from 1.8 gallon bowl to 5 gallon tank. Any filter suggestions would be appreciated. He used to sleep frequently in his little 1.8 unfiltered bowl and now he never seems to sleep at all.

I am looking forward to exploring the store.

Thank you!
Kecia

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: Re: Low Current Filter for a 5 gallon Betta tank?
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:43 pm
Site Admin

I suggest a hagen mini elite internal power filter
$16 each
we have 2 in stock now

or maybe a lee's foam filter with a very small air pump
those are in stock also

if he's the only fish in there you can simply unplug the filter

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Kecia
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Thank you!

Kecia

Profile Quote
Kecia
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:14 pm

I did figure out a low tech solution to the flow problem.

We use the AquaTech Power Filter 5-15 and we found that if we slightly raised the intake tube, it slowed the flow of the water.

We enjoyed our trip to the store on Saturday. You should charge admission. It was like being in an Aquarium. I could have spent all day ohhhing and ahhhhing.

Our new Amano shrimp, who we have named Crispy and Crunchy, are happily eating everything they can get their tiny claws on. And the new plant looks great in the tank. It had a few snails on it, but Rogue must be french, because he is eating them. :-)

We would like a bigger tank some day in the future and we will be back when its time to shop again.

Thank you!
Kecia

Profile Quote
Braden8558
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Hello,
I don't know if this will help anymore but i'll still post it. I actually have 3 betta tanks at the moment which are a 5,5, and a 6. Flow can be a problem especially with the longer fined varieties. I also use the aqua-tech 5-15 gallon HOB power filter. It is simple, cheap, and effective. I found this on bettafish. it is how to create a filter baffle. Here is the link...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

I really like this idea because when you restrict the flow by riding the tube it lets less water be filtered per hour. This means that you are getting less filtration. Is it really neccesary that bettas have top of the line filtration? No, but it still helps maintain good water quality for your fish. This helps block the flow of the filter so that it isn't as direct on the betta and it allows it to be split up into 2 separate flows so they don't aggravate the betta. I've used this on two of my betta tanks and it has worked very well. Hope that i helped!

Braden :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: