unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

oryzias eggs

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Eric
Post subject: oryzias eggs
Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:26 pm

I have a small group of oryzias javanicus (blue-eyed rice fish) that lay eggs all the time but the eggs don't hatch. They get eyes and then after a few weeks, die. The parents are doing great. Any suggestions?

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: fish eggs
Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:34 pm
Site Admin

maybe your water is too hard

try rain water
ned

Profile Quote
Eric
Post subject: eggs
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:43 am

I added some RO water and two hatched out today.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: fish eggs
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:04 pm
Site Admin

interesting

must be a softwater species

Ned

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Eric
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:01 pm

I acquired 11 of these fish through the BAP in June. They were placed in a ten-gallon tank, already cycled and with a lone bristle-nose catfish as its occupant. The tank did not have a heater, but the temperature never dropped much below 70. The surface of the water was covered in duckweed, which served as a great spot for the females to drop their eggs. About a week after I got them, several females had eggs on their fin and were busy depositing them. These developed well but never hatched. More eggs were laid almost every day after the first time, and they too never hatched. I then did a water change using RO water instead of regular tap water and about two weeks later I noticed that some eggs had hatched. The eggs have been hatching regularly since then, even though I have not used RO water in the regular water changes since then. The other factor that could have contributed to this is the warmer temperatures, which have kept the tank warmer. The eggs that did hatch took far longer than the 12 days that was mentioned in one book I read. This makes me think it was more of the temperature contributing to the hatches, rather than the soft water. The fry can be treated like killifish fry; they are raised easily on baby brine shrimp. I also found that putting spawning mops in the tank helped me retrieve the eggs more easily, since duckweed is very messy to sort eggs out of.

Profile Quote
Eric
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:21 pm

UPDATE:

What I used to consider a difficult fish to breed has now become easy. I hatched out about 80-100 in the last week. They grow really fast and can be back with parents in about a month.

Profile Quote
Jane In Upton
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:19 pm

Interesting - does your female "hang" the eggs in the roots of floating plants? Mine seems to, but I've never seen fry yet.

Do you remove the parents, or remove the eggs?
-Jane

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: