Fish-related discussions

Thoricthys Aureum/Elioti

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
tl64
Post subject: Thoricthys Aureum/Elioti
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:09 am

Hi, Ned, Dan, Sam etc.

I have some Thoricthys Elioti. I'm aware there is a lot of confusion w/ I.D. in genus. Anyway, problem is w/fry. They breed almost as readily as Convicts, but free swimming fry usually start dying off after 4-6 weeks. Baench Atlas 3 mentions this problem (dying off) but does not state the cause. They have spawned about 6 times and this is my 2nd attempt at raising fry (removing tankmates etc.). Only the male guards fry and keeps all other fish away including female. The fry seem to be eating O.K.-Usually frozen B.B. shrimp, Rotifers,first bites,crushed flakes. At some point most have trailing white feces. Growth is not good. I assume it is some type of intestinal/parasite problem. I've watched some fry lose control and whirl to tank bottom. I've been keeping temp. fairly high at 79-80 deg. Water quality is good. Crushed coral and trace elements to harden my really soft water.
Wondering if temp. is too high. Any thoughts ? Thanks..
Looking forward to visiting and filling tanks again. Tom L

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:35 am
Site Admin

strange
a popular fish too
I'd like to buy 50 for the store if you can raise them...
have to think about it...
maybe switch food to crushed flake and live baby brine only
(we have real good eggs)
maybe skip the frozen baby brine

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
tl64
Post subject: Thorichthys
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks-I'll see what happens this time. Making few changes. IMO-They are close to the perfect Cichlid. Very distinct, cool looking body shape. Males only get about 5 " and females smaller. The fish are always out front and active. They eat anything. Colors are spectacular on males. Females a little less but still nice. Rear half/third of body covered w/ blue spangling, rosy belly, blue lips and eyes.. Long extensions on dorsal and caudal fins.
Not very aggressive-More bluff then anything. Breeding fish were in a 30 long (now in 40 long) w/ Bleeding Heart Tetra's and Sae's. Tankmates chased away from fry but never any damage. Sae's are not too bright and most other Cichlids would have done some damage/killed them. Yeh-Really like them.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:20 pm
Site Admin

from the descripton
of the problem
I'm kind of thinking there is something wrong with one or more
of your frozen foods,
hope you didn't buy the frozen from me

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
tl64
Post subject: Frozen Food
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:16 pm

No. Not purchased from you. Could be food-I'll change up foods. I'm due to replace frozen food anyway. Always use Hikari frozen.
Again, The Atlas mentioned the problem of fry dying off only in the Elioti species. Also read it somewhere else (can't remember where). Going to lower temp. to about 74-75. Maybe cooler water habitat (like some Geo's) or spawn during cool season. Just a guess. None of the other fish in tank ever got sick. Makes the hobby interesting anyway.
Be down next week-Really itching to start up w/ some new fish.
Lists looks good...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: