unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

fish scratching themselves / flashing

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Schmidty
Post subject: fish scratching themselves / flashing
Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:49 pm

I have a 10 gallon with 3 zebra danios, 3 cory cats, and 1 albino bristelnose pleco. Temp is 78, pH is 7.4, ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates are 10 ppm. Chlorine/chloramines are removed (and pH adjusted) with Wardley 3-in-1 pH 7.0 conditioner. I do weekly 35-50% water changes.

Over the past few months, I've noticed all three of the cory cats scratching themselves repeatedly on gravel and clay pots. I have noticed the pleco and one of the danios do this on just one or two occasions. Otherwise, all the fish behave normally and have no outward signs of disease (except one of the cory cats has missing barbels).

I have been maintaining a level of 1 tsp/gallon aquarium salt. I have treated the tank a couple times with Jungle Parasite Clear, but there has been no change from that. I just started treatment with CopperSafe and Maracyn.

I assumed that the scratching/flashing meant that the fish must have an external parasite, even though there are no visible signs. Could something else be bothering them?

What do you typically do when fish are flashing? Thanks.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:32 pm
Site Admin

I have a 10 gallon with 3 zebra danios,
IN GENERAL , ZEBRA DANIOS SHOULD BE HOUSED WITH 5 OR MORE OF THEIR OWN KIND
3 cory cats, and 1 albino bristelnose pleco. Temp is 78, pH is 7.4, ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates are 10 ppm. Chlorine/chloramines are removed (and pH adjusted) with Wardley 3-in-1 pH 7.0 conditioner. I do weekly 35-50% water changes.

Over the past few months, I've noticed all three of the cory cats scratching themselves repeatedly on gravel and clay pots.
THIS IS NOT GOOD
I have noticed the pleco and one of the danios do this on just one or two occasions. Otherwise, all the fish behave normally and have no outward signs of disease
(except one of the cory cats has missing barbels).
THIS IS NOT GOOD

I have been maintaining a level of 1 tsp/gallon aquarium salt.
YOU NEED ZERO SALT, UNLESS THE FISH ARE SICK
THEY CAN'T HAVE PARASITES FOR 3 MONTHS
I have treated the tank a couple times with Jungle Parasite Clear, but there has been no change from that.
ARE YOU KEEPING THE CARBON IN, WHEN YOU ARE USING THE MEDICINE ?

I just started treatment with CopperSafe and Maracyn.
NO NO NO NO NO
YOU NEED TO TREAT WITH ONE OR THE OTHER...
MARACYN IS FOR BACTERIA
COPPERSAFE IS FOR PARASITES
...AND WORSE ...
MANY ANTI-BIOTICS BECOME TOXIC WHEN MIXED WITH
ANTI-PARASITICS

I assumed that the scratching/flashing meant that the fish must have an external parasite, even though there are no visible signs.
NOT FOR 3 MONTHS !

Could something else be bothering them?
YES ... BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT

What do you typically do when fish are flashing?
BIG WATER CHANGE, GRAVEL CLEAN
AND SALT

BRING YOUR FISH DOWN TO THE STORE AND I'LL LOOK AT THEM

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: