Fish-related discussions

Stocking Question

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
sfb911
Post subject: Stocking Question
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 am

Ned,

Hello, hope all is well. Its been a month or two since I've been down to the store...I've got another stocking question for you. Two actually. Currently running a 40G breeder, with the following stock:

7 x Neolamprologus multifasciatus and a couple of fry (shellies)
5 x Juvenile altolamprologus calvus black white pearl
4 x Juvenile Altolamprologus compressiceps (Muzi gold head)
2 x Synodontis petricola
6 x procatopus similis (killies)
and a few snails (Olive Nerite)

This is a display tank in a high traffic area. I had originally purchased 7 of the killies (one didn't make it) in the hopes that they would fill in the top area of the tank and make it a bit more active. I thought they were schooling fish in nature, but really they don't seem to be. I really want to be careful about overstocking but I'd love to get something that might work in this scenario to really fill in the top of the tank so that it doesn't look so 'empty. Is there any way to do this with this current stock? Or am I asking for trouble? Should I just get a few more of the killies and hope that they will start schooling? Are there other suggestions? Or should I just leave things alone to avoid overstocking troubles

Oh, since its probably relevant, I currently do a 30% water change ever two weeks and run a cascade 1000 filter on the tank.

Thanks for your feedback!

Steve

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: Re: Stocking Question
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:44 pm
Site Admin

thats odd the procatopus aren't at the top

we also have cyprichromis
they are usually in the middle or top

also danios would work

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
sfb911
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah it kinda surprised me too. They are very cool fish and other than the one I lost shortly after getting them seem to be doing very well but they seem to hang more middle to low. I might try adding a few more if you still have them in stock to see if the additional numbers get them in gear!

I am not a big danio fan really but might also consider that...would dwarf rainbows work or would I be asking for trouble with that many different species in the same tank?

Profile Quote
Admin
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:47 pm
Site Admin

actually we have I. Werneri in stock and the Tanganyikans you mentioned would probably ignore them

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Compatibility Questions”
Jump to: