unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Apisto's

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
tiujustin
Post subject: Apisto's
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:41 pm

I wanted to know if you can mix the dwarf South American species like cacatuoides, pandurini, and rams in one tank. I know this will discourage breeding. I’m not looking for breeding. Everything that I have read says that while the all three are moderately aggressive most are aggressive to their species. I know that they also occupy the same tank area. The tank is 45g. If they are compatible would that be enough room? Thanks

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:23 pm
Site Admin

I think so...

you want to offer
MANY hiding places
including several small low caves
and also
some vertical space (large tall plants, vertical driftwood, or similar)

we are low
on small Rams, we have "Large"

we have MANY Apisto Trifasciata (MALE SALE: $9 each)
females also $18 each

we have female only CACs, a few, out of AGGs
still have a few Nijseni, Borelli Blue, a couple Nanacara,
and Dicrossus filamentosa...
for "Big" dwarfs
we have 2" Crenicara Punctulata, and 1" Altispinosa Rams

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:34 pm
Site Admin

I had a 45 gallon community tank years ago. It was when I was just starting out in the trade so the species mix was rather odd, but it all worked out reasonably well. There was a breeding pair of altispinosa rams, three Dicrossus maculatus, one Dicrossus sp. red-fin, some blue rams, and to top it off some west african nudiceps cichlids.

This mix was not ideal for breeding, and it did result in some damaged fins, but overall, it was a stable tank.

So, the message is, you can get away with a lot, but keep a sharp eye out and remove fish if things just aren't working out.

More recently in my fish carrier I have really lent towards tanks with numbers of just a few species. Fish in these simpler tanks more often display their full beauty and behave in more dynamic interesting ways.

-Sam

Ned
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
tiujustin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:50 pm

I have a bunch of caves and holes (10 or 12). I also have a good ammount of large plants to break their sight lines.

How is the temperment of the female cacs, i dont have any experience with them. I know with the pandurini the females are aggressive. So if i bought 2 of them now without the male would they kill eachother? Are the females you have in nice. The next question would be when will you be getting another shipment so that i can purchase a male.

Also how may should I put in the tank..... (i know thats a dumb question) I would like enough to disperse the aggression, but not too many where it will stress out the fish and leave them floating in the top corner of the tank.

1 pandurini pair
3 sae
1 male guppy 2 female guppy (feeders) so they get live food once every couple of weeks.

Profile Quote
tiujustin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I had a VERY densly planted tank and i just wanted to scale everything back a bit, just rocks growing moss, and some small plants and driftwood. All and all just something easier to maintain. It was a community tank but for some reason the tank just started to die the only fish that made it out were the pandas, sae, and guppies. That was the reason i had to take everything out. In retrospect there might not have been enough water moovement. I just was looking at the CAC's for the color contrast against the moss and grass... The pandas are good but i would like something that stands out a little more...

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:10 pm
Site Admin

our female CAC's live together fine

Ned
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction: