Fish-related discussions

Eartheaters?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
grayMatters
Post subject: Eartheaters?
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi Ned,

I've never kept Eartheaters and I am thinking about doing so.

Can you make any recommendations for which ones would do well in a 55 gal and how many as adults? It sounds like the Satanoperca species are relatively well-behaved, but heck, I'm new at these.

In my ideal world, I'd be able to have 6 adults along with other fish such as cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, some catfish, bushynose plecos. Is this doable?

If the Eartheaters were able to breed in this arrangement, all the better.

All thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Profile Quote
flickafish
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:55 pm

I've got 3 juvy Satanoperca jurupari (Geophagus) from Ned in a 55g with a few danios, Corydoras, a starlight pleco, and a couple of platys. They all have been playing nice so far, and the Geos are really cool fish to have in your tank. I've been really happy with them! :D

Krista

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:16 am
Site Admin

you cannot put them with cardinals and rasboras
(those are simply too small and will get swallowed by the Geo's)

however, they are basically mellow
and can go in with anything that gets good size
....bigger tetras like congo tetras or bleeding hearts
...bigger livebearers like adult swordtails
...adult cory cats and plecos of any kind would be fine

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject: eartheater choice
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:53 pm

The Genus Gymnogeophagus sounds perfect for you. In general, they are smaller than other eartheaters, and their breeding strategies reduce the chance of a pair getting over excited and killing off tankmates.

I bred Gymnogeophagus balzani in a thirty gallon tank with a school of harlequin rasboras and a group of corydoras. I kept 2 males and 4 females - one dominant male ended up breeding with all of the females - while the subdominant got a few hurried spawnings in. I have heard, though I have not tried this myself, that balzani can even be kept with cardinal tetras.

Other species like G. labiatus and G. gymnogenys get bigger quicker, but I think they should also be suitable fish to try (we have labiatus and balzani in stock now).

If you want to have a really good geo experience, where the fish grow to full size and succesfully breed in a community environment, I would grab a group of six or more of either labiatus or balzani (get mostly females) and keep them with a community of non-cichlid tankmates.

goodluck,
-Sam

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Compatibility Questions”
Jump to: