Adding fish to saltwater tank and Changing tanks

Who plays nicely with whom? Will these breeds share a tank without eating each other? "Dis is da place"

Moderators: Sam, Admin

Adding fish to saltwater tank and Changing tanks

Postby kamoton » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:48 am

Is there a certain limit when adding fish/rock/inverts to an aquarium? My local pet store said if I add more than 1 at a time I would be taking a chance at throwing my balance off. I currently have a 110 gallons w/3 1" emerald crabs...40 1/2" hermits and 2 serpent starfish. Only a few corals, a bunch of shells and a crushed coral bottom. I am expecting 35 lbs of rock in a few days and about 10 stalks of live plants. How long is the typical waiting period before more fish can be added? I am also considering upgrading to a 270 gallon aquarium and wanted a little info on how to take care of such a large tank.
kamoton

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:09 pm

regardless if it is a 10 gallon aquarium or a 500 gallon aquarium the chemistry is the same. Regular maintenance, water changes, and water tests should be done. Or you can hire TheFishGuy.....

Josh
TheFishGuy
P.O. Box 2453
Framingham MA 01703
508-314-1992
www.the-fish-guy.com
TheFishGuy

Postby Admin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:57 am

Is there a certain limit when adding fish/rock/inverts to an aquarium?
KINDA SORTA, DEPENDS ON SEVERAL FACTORS

My local pet store said if I add more than 1 at a time I would be taking a chance at throwing my balance off.
NO, NOT REALLY...PROVIDING ALL CONDITIONS ARE GOOD AND TANK IS WELL ESTABLISHED

I currently have a 110 gallons w/3 1" emerald crabs...40 1/2" hermits and 2 serpent starfish. Only a few corals, a bunch of shells and a crushed coral bottom. I am expecting 35 lbs of rock in a few days and about 10 stalks of live plants.
IF ROCK IS NOT FULLY CURED, IT COULD BE AN ISSUE...
ARE YOU BUYING CURED OR UN-CURED ROCK?

How long is the typical waiting period before more fish can be added? IF THE ROCK IS FULLY CURED GO AHEAD AND ADD 2 OR 3 HARDY SPECIES, WAIT A WEEK OR 10 DAYS, TEST FREQUENTLY, IF ALL IS GOOD, ADD A FEW MORE.

I am also considering upgrading to a 270 gallon aquarium and wanted a little info on how to take care of such a large tank.
THE SAME RULES APPLY TO ALL AQUATIC SYSTEMS,
TEST FREQUENTLY, TAKE NOTES, CHANGE WATER BASED ON BIO-LOAD, TYPICALLY 30% PER MONTH

IN SALTWATER
YOU WANT YOUR READINGS TO BE AS FOLLOWS
temp: no lower than 71, no higher than 79
salinity: no lower than 1.023, no higher than 1.025
ammonia: ZERO (not abnormal to be 1 ppm when starting)
nitrite: ZERO (not abnormal to be 1 ppm when starting)
nitrate: below 40 ppm (less is better, not abnormal to be zero when starting)
Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Compatibility Questions