Fish-related discussions

Tanganyikan tank...tanks....tankses

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Amps
Post subject: Tanganyikan tank...tanks....tankses
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:48 pm

Heya Ned:

First question, can you please move your store closer to where I live? OR At least move your home so you can drop things off to me as I need them? Sounds fair to me....

Next....

I want a variety of Tanganyikans to enhance my life. You can only imagine....I just want to get an idea of what can live with whom. I have had shellies and assume that they really should just be in a species tank. I have had kept aggressive malawi before also and wanted to keep the peace level high and body count low....

So I think I will start a bunch of juvie ocellatus in a 12 gal. I also wanted to include some dwarf sized julies, cyps, compressis/calvus, and was hoping some kind of brichardi and goby. How many tanks of what size might make the best homes for these guys? Is it reasonable to put the brichardi in anything but a species or huge tank?

Did I mention that I love gobies? Almost makes me want to start marine tanks again....or not.....

Thanks !

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: tanganyikans
Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:08 pm
Site Admin

First question, can you please move your store closer to where I live? OR At least move your home so you can drop things off to me as I need them? Sounds fair to me.... We can ship priority mail inside New England, you'll get the stuff next day.

Next....

I want a variety of Tanganyikans to enhance my life. ExcellentYou can only imagine....I just want to get an idea of what can live with whom. ...Well, most of them live good with each other, depends on tank size & fish size.
I have had shellies and assume that they really should just be in a species tank... Shelldwellers can't go with Frontosas for example.
I have had kept aggressive malawi before also and wanted to keep the peace level high and body count low....
...A lot of the Tanganyikans are pair forming substrate spawners, so when they want to raise a family they sometimes clear out the neighbors, not much you can do about that but get big tanks.

So I think I will start a bunch of juvie ocellatus in a 12 gal.
A 12 gallon is fine for Ocellatus.
I also wanted to include some dwarf sized julies, cyps, compressis/calvus, and was hoping some kind of brichardi and goby. ...Now you're going to need a big tank, all those guys will need more territory than a 12.
How many tanks of what size might make the best homes for these guys? How much money you got?
Is it reasonable to put the brichardi in anything but a species or huge tank? ...Lamp Brichardi are among the worst for tanking over a tank when raising young.

Did I mention that I love gobies? ...Tanganyikan goby cichlids (eretmodus, etc.) are truely unique, it's a pair forming mouthbrooder, very rare in the cichlid world. They are quite rough on each other, sort of like Tropheus aggression-wise.
Almost makes me want to start marine tanks again....or not.....
Marine fish are great too but personally I prefer cichlids more.

Thanks !

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Amps
Post subject: That narrows it down...
Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:48 am

OK. I am doing the shellies in a 12 gallon as soon as you get them in....HINT HINT

What size tank would you recommend to keep dwarf sized julies, cyps, and compressis/calvus all in one tank?

Thanks again!
Mike

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: What size tank
Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:30 pm
Site Admin

What size tank would you recommend to keep dwarf sized julies, cyps, and compressis/calvus all in one tank?

I'd suggest a 50 gallon 36x18x20"
or 65 gallon 36x18x25"
or 55 gallon 48x13x24"
or 75 gallon 48x18x22"
or 90 gallon 48x18x25"
or 110 gallon 48x18x30"
or larger

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
fishmommy
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:10 am

I always recommend 75g for cyps to give them room to shoal and swim. You won't regret a 75.

I have a nice 75 Tang community I would recommend to anyone - peaceful, diverse, and colorful:
5-6 Enantiopus 'kilesa'
12 Cyps (not Jumbos)
4 Syno Petricola
1 Albino Bushynose
5-6 Dwarf Julis (Regani is the nicest)
4 Calvus OR Comps (not both) - get 2 pairs if you can.

Rock piles and/or large shells at both ends, open sand in the middle. 25-30% water change every week.

have fun, whatever you decide.
-jen

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Compatibility Questions”
Jump to: