unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

carinotetraodon salivator

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
timwag2001
Post subject: carinotetraodon salivator
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm

sam. i found a someone in portland oregon that sells them. i know you were looking for a female at one point. shoot me an email and i'll forward the information to you if you're interested

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks Tim,
I've moved on to other things for now - but its a great species... I hope somebody is up to breeding them.
- Sam

Profile Quote
timwag2001
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 pm

i bought a female. i kept them in seperate tanks for a month and then gave it a whirl. the male was a little bit more hungry than he was feeling like reproducing. i've been searching for info on breeding them but info is a little hard to come by with them. do you have any tips?

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 pm

My initial plan (before I ended up with all males) was to keep one male and two females in a 33 long with dividers. Male in the middle section, females to the sides. I was going to feed them up and grow them for a long time separately - making sure the females were very fat and healthy - and then try introducing them into the same sections of the tank for short periods. I figured that if conditions and feeding were right, mature females may become gravid, especially in the presence (i.e. shared water... visual contact...) of a male.

If this approach failed - I would have played around more with water parameters and feeding - and made sure to provide ample spawning vegetation... I believe they require big patches of fine textured plants to spawn in... java moss is a good bet. I'd also try moving out all other species in the tank.

Just some thoughts.

- Sam

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Monster Fish & Miscellaneous Fish”
Jump to: