Fish-related discussions

Stocking 125 Gallon

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
geomancer
Post subject: Stocking 125 Gallon
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:56 am

Hello!

I'm in the process of getting a 125 gallon set up. We're getting the carpet replaced in the room first to remove that from the equation and hopefully not ever move this behemoth for 20+ years!

Anyways, I live up in Chelmsford and am thinking of making the drive down in a few weeks once that is completed to load up on plants and the first school or two of fish.

This is my stocking list as of right now and I'm curious which you normally carry. I figure typing it out will be much easier than calling on the phone as I can't even begin to guess how the scientific names are pronounced.

Fish:
1) Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.) Qty 2 [One male, One female]
2) Scalare Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) Qty 6 [Very interested in the blue variety, second choice is zebra striped & yellow]
3) Diamond Tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri) Qty 10
4) Flame Tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus) Qty 10 [Sometimes called Von Rio Tetra]
5) Oto catfish (Otocinclus) Qty 6
6) Marble Hatchetfish (Carnegiella strigata) Qty 10
7) Julii Cory (Corydoras julii) Qty 6
8 ) Schwartz Cory (Corydoras schwartzi) Qty 6
9) Whiptail Catfish (Rineloricaria parva) Qty 1

If you don't have the specific species, but something similar under the same common name please let me know.

Plants:
1) Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta) Qty 5 [Species is important on this one, cornuta floats best)
2) Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri) Qty 5 [Depending on how sold]
3) Pygmy Chain Sword (Helanthium tenellum) Qty 6
4) Large-Leaf Amazon Sword (Echinodorus cordifolius) Qty 2
5) Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea lotus) Qty 1
6) Melon Sword (Echinodorus osiris) Qty 2
7) Dwarf Sword (Echinodorus parviflorus) Qty 6
8 ) Various Crypt and Anubias (I'm sure you have many)

Thank you!

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject: Re: Stocking 125 Gallon
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 am

Hi there,

We carry all those species from time to time (some are available now) and can try and have them in stock for you. However we often focus on similar species, just as beautiful, or more so, that are less often seen for sale in the trade. We always have tons of community style fish - come by and browse and you'll probably end up adding a lot of new "wants" to your list! For instance, we have a group of Pervian wild caught angelfish that are stunning and would love a 125 to grow out in.

As for plants, we are reasonably well stocked right now (especially with swords and crypts) but it wouldn't hurt to try and time a trip down with a plant order. Watch our forums plant page for announcements and arrival dates.

Good luck with your tank and please post your wants to the forums again when you are ready to stock the tank.

Cheers
Sam

Profile Quote
BillM
Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:45 am

I brought a list with me the first time I went, in every case I found what I was looking for or something better :D

Profile Quote
geomancer
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks Sam,

I'm sure I would find all kinds of interesting things I would must have ;)

I'm trying to stick to my list though, as they are the fish I've researched the most and know will work well together. Throwing something in that I do not know anything about could have unforeseen consequences. Half I can get locally, half I can not. For the plants, I can't get any locally. I'm trying to avoid going online, if possible.

Should be 2 weeks for the tank to be ready. I'll stuff it full of plants, then add one school at a time to ensure the plants are handling the ammonia.

Profile Quote
Admin
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:28 pm
Site Admin

actually we cycle it right away by just putting in beneficial bacteria from an established healthy filter

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
geomancer
Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:43 am

Well, it's been awhile but I have it up and running, loaded with plants, and 1/3 of the way stocked. Been taking it slow, only adding a few fish at a time to ensure no mini cycles.

The floating plants have over half the surface covered finally so I'm ready to add the Marble Hatchetfish, or similar non-pure silver hatchets.

Was thinking of making the drive down this weekend, do you have any in stock? Looking at your previous posts for fish shipments I see you got some back at the end of February but I imagine those are all sold by now.

Have a great day!

Profile Quote
Admin
Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:33 pm
Site Admin

we are a little low on fish

more fish due Monday or Wednesday
call ahead as always

Fish:
1) Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.) Qty 2 [One male, One female] 1" albinos in stock not sexable

2) Scalare Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) Qty 6 [Very interested in the blue variety, second choice is zebra striped & yellow] no blue but many others

3) Diamond Tetra (Moenkhausia pittieri) Qty 10 none

4) Flame Tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus) Qty 10 [Sometimes called Von Rio Tetra] none

5) Oto catfish (Otocinclus) Qty 6 none, hoping Mon or Wed

6) Marble Hatchetfish (Carnegiella strigata) Qty 10 none, hoping Mon or Wed

7) Julii Cory (Corydoras julii) Qty 6 none, hoping Mon or Wed

8 ) Schwartz Cory (Corydoras schwartzi) Qty 6 in stock

9) Whiptail Catfish (Rineloricaria parva) Qty 1 none, hoping Mon or Wed

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]