Fish-related discussions

Malawi ? questions

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
Admin
Post subject: Malawi ? questions
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 pm
Site Admin

I am starting a new tank and I wanted to have cichlids again. I had south American before and now want Oscars.
Oscars are from south america
they eat fish
... we usually do not stock Oscars
but
we have some more rare Oscar relatives like Spectabile.
my tank is set up just about and wanted to buy some fish.
we have hundreds

I was thinking electric yellow and demasoni? we definitely want the electric yellow or yellow lab which every they go by and from reading on the internet demasoni would be a good fit.
electric yellow Labidochromis is an easy to maintain Malawi east africa species ... not hyper aggressive normally... we have different sizes in stock $10- $40 each
peseudotropheus Demasoni is small ... but aggressive ... mostly to it's own kind : we are out of stock on Demasoni
... neither should live with an Oscar...
Malawi cichlids mostly go well with other Malawi cichlids

I have a 30 gallon with a 55 gal filter. I will most likely being upgrading at the end of the year to a 55 once these grow.
if you like Malawi cichlids (or any large cichlids) get a 75 gallon at least (Not much more money than a 55)
I was thinking 4-8.
no, you want 12 - 24 individuals, or more: the large population disperses the high aggression amongst many individuals ..
when you add them : try to add at least 7 at a time

also I have been reading yea and ney on using aquarium salt. and if so using regular aquarium salt vs cichlid lake salt.
here's the difference
basically
there is almost no 'aquarium salt' sodium chloride, normal table salt, in the great Lake Malawi
but there is tons of other 'salts' and minerals there dissolved in the waters (more in Tanganyika than Malawi)

so
it is better to use the actual Rift Lake Cichlid Salt
than Aquarium Salt for Malawi cichlids

but
either is fine
as long as
you never you never have more than 2 teaspoons of sodium chloride per 1 gallon of water

do you carry cichlid specific salt?
yes
we have 2 manufacturer's salts in stock

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]
Return to “Cichlids”
Jump to: