unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Stocking for an unusual 75 gallon tank

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
NotThePainter
Post subject: Stocking for an unusual 75 gallon tank
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:25 am

The tank started off like a regular 75 gallon, 4 foot from side to side, 18" front to back. But it is unusual in that has a 30 gallon sump which hold about 20 gallons of water. The sump has 3 liters of Seachem Matrix (and I can easily go to 4) and a 1000gph pump, which is not even close to pushing 1,000 once it goes through all my plumbing.. So it has far more water than a usual 75 and probably far more filtration.

I also have a Universal Rocks 3D background which I had them cut for me to just cover the internal overflow in the tank. This takes up significant space where the overflow is, there is only 9" front to back for about 7-8 inches of length. (This might actually be an advantage, since it does break sight lines across the length of the tank.) The rest of the background only takes up 1 to 4" depending on what part of the background you are looking at it. The rocks are all Universal also. I think there are enough nooks and crannies but frankly I'm worried that some of the crevices are too small. I also might not have enough open sand space for digging. The substrate is eco-complete cichlid and I have 11 pounds of dead sea "rock" in the sump for buffering. I've not yet had a chance to measure the water parameters.

A picture is worth a thousand words so here it is, just filled it.

[ img ]

(hmmm, that's odd, in Preview the picture is only showing the left 3/4ths of the tank!)

So, it can probably hold more fish than a 75 because it has more water and filtration, but it can probably hold less fish than a normal 75 because the interior space is a bit limited.

I'm not a beginning fishkeeper but this is my first east african tank. I know I want Mbuna, both because they are smaller and because the girls are dull.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Pseudotropheus saulosi. I can probably get them locally and some of the online houses stock them. (I only want tank raised, I've read about the decimation of the natural population.) What attracts me to them is the sexual dimorphism they display. Other fish that do this could also be candidates but frankly, if I keep Pseudotropheus saulosi I know I'll have buyers in the area for them.

I think the tank needs to be a single species tank because of the space limitations but that's just a guess, I've not kept Mbuna before. I've also considered Pseudotropheus demasoni and Labidochromis caeruleus. The advantage of this pairing is that I can easily balance the yellow and blues. The disadvantage is that I'm probably not ready for the aggression of the demasoni.

My desire for the tank is a good mixture of blue and yellow, it can be heavy on the yellow, but I would want 4 (or more!) blue fish. This could disqualify the saulosi. I also want interesting behavior, but I gather that that comes for free with Mbuna. (I have another 75 gallon tank with gorgeous fish that for the most part just don't move except when it that time of day to spawn..., boring except for the sex time, which at least they do pretty much for a few hours every day.) I also wouldn't mind a fish where there was a market for the fry and that means I want to completely avoid any chance of hybridization.

I'd appreciate any advice you all can give.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: Re: Stocking for an unusual 75 gallon tank
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:03 pm
Site Admin

people can cut and paste below and see the whole picture
(the shortcut on my sight may be showing only part because of actual screen size or your screen peferences)
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... 3eeb8b.jpg

nice fake rocks!

I have 30 P. Saulosi in stock
$17 each
10 from one breeder, 20 from a second breeder
so my genetics should be good

I would say your system should hold the same as any 75 g
18 - 25 adult mbuna
(more while they are babys... but they grow quickly

the only problem I see
will be catching them when need be...
I assume the background is siliconed in

a trick for that is some pvc pipe
put it in the tank
wait for the fish to swim in
then pull it up

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
NotThePainter
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:25 pm

Admin wrote:
nice fake rocks!
Admin wrote:

I have 30 P. Saulosi in stock
$17 each
10 from one breeder, 20 from a second breeder
so my genetics should be good
Awesome, if I go with them I'll get some from you for sure.
Admin wrote:
the only problem I see
will be catching them when need be...
I assume the background is siliconed in

a trick for that is some pvc pipe
put it in the tank
wait for the fish to swim in
then pull it up
Love the trick. Yes, the background is siliconed in place. But, I can easily remove all the rocks in just a few minutes.[/quote]

Are there any other species I should consider? Thanks!

Profile Quote
Admin
Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:16 pm
Site Admin

well
if the main point is to breed
just don't put a closely related species in with it

so fo example:
maybe
a colony of Pseudotropheus Saulosi or something
a colony of Aulonocara something