Fish-related discussions

German Rams

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
HodneTheNoble
Post subject: German Rams
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Hey there all,
Lately I've been trying to get into keeping German Rams but it's proven to be quite difficult. I'll get them from a store, bring them home, acclimate them for about an hour with the lights off and they'll eat and do fine for about a week, then suddenly become ill and die. I have read that many people have difficulty keeping German Rams because I understand that they are sensitive, but I am stubborn. I've gone through about three by now and have one left my water parameters are as follows:
Temp:80
Ph:6.8
Nitrates:<5
Nitrites:0
Ammonia:0

I am at a loss for what i'm doing wrong or if I'm just getting unlucky. My fish are fed a combination of frozen, live, and pellet food and the rams always eat it. As for filtration I use an aquaclear 300, with a mechanical sponge, black diamond carbon, peat moss and biomax ceramic rings. At this point I believe i'm missing something really dumb or its just the nature of these rams. i'm wondering at this point if there is something I'm missing or if I should just settle for Bolivian Rams (I like the variants of Germans though). Thanks for taking your time in reading this and hopefully someone could put my insecure mind at ease.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: Re: German Rams
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:32 am
Site Admin

normally our rams are excellent
but
our last batch was not good
they all slowly broke down and died

sounds like the same thing you had

so
I don't know is the short answer

there is nothing wrong with your chemistry if those numbers you gave were correct
I might suggest slightly higher temperature
but that did not kill them

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
HodneTheNoble
Post subject: Re: German Rams
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks for your response, and I didn't think so, I guess Germans are just real finicky, plus it probably didn't help i bought these from a local chain.I'm thinking next time you guys get a good batch i'll come down. I almost never have problems with you guys' fish.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: