unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

vinegar eels

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
redpaulhus
Post subject: vinegar eels
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:22 pm

I like vinegar eels (actually a nematode) as an easy live food for really tiny fry.
While they are not as easy as microworms to harvest, they are super low maintenance.
Lots of good info on the web, but the short version - keep them in a mix of cider vinegar and water (or vinegar and apple juice) with a small piece of apple in there to feed the bacteria that the "eels" eat.

To harvest - I put some of the vinegar solution in a glass test tube (actually, the one I use is a mouse water tube - http://www.centralpet.com/small-animal/ ... 2-4oz.html ) or arizona ice tea bottle. I put a small wad of filter floss on top of the vinegar, and then put clean freshwater above the floss.
In a few hours the eels will swim thru the floss into the water - you can easily pour them out or use a pipette to extract them and feed them to the fry.
I then remove the floss with tongs and put the vinegar back in the culture.

Long term, eels are no replacement for baby artemia -- but they are a great bridge food for surprise batches of fry (they get me thru the day or two until I have baby brine shrimp ready) or fry that are too small for BBS.

Red

Profile Quote
redpaulhus
Post subject: Re: vinegar eels
Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Here's a great description of the harvest method I basically use - note that I use a large test tube not a round bottom flask, but the same method works.
I generally find that this lets me feed a few tanks of fry - in my case, maybe a few dozen killies and guppies etc - from a few ounces of culture media daily.
http://www.livefoodcultures.com/vinegar ... sting.html

Red

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: