unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Zebra Oto died any advice?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
gzub
Post subject: Zebra Oto died any advice?
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:02 am

It happened very quickly, we just got him a couple of weeks ago and he had been a great addition to the the tank and went to work reducing the algae almost immediately. I normally try to find where he is hiding multiple times a day and often he is attached to the glass so I can see his belly pretty well, however last night I noticed that he wasn't moving or breathing and his belly was red. I removed him and took some pictures to see if anyone could help determine what might have caused it.

He is in a 29G tank with 3 GloFish Danios, 4 Pearl Danios, 4 Silver Hatchet, 2 Harlequin Rasboras and a Flower Shrimp. There is also Java Fern, Moss Ball and one other plant I forgot the name of. All fish & plants seem to be doing well, no gasping at the surface, awkward movements or other noticeable issues.

I tend to do weekly 25% water changes however did one extra this week as it looked like I had been over-feeding because there was some fuzzy left over food that I wanted to get rid of and I had also started to notice what I think were some tiny (what I think are) MTS roaming around.
[ attachment ]
DSC_5894-001.JPG (207.36 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
[ attachment ]
DSC_5893-001.JPG (221.81 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
I don't have a water test kit (I will have to get one the next time I am at Ned's) but I don't think that is an issue and I do understand that Oto's can be a bit difficult to acclimate to a new environment...

Thanks,
Geoff

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject: Re: Zebra Oto died any advice?
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:11 am
Site Admin

I don't know why it died

always a good idea to know your water conditions

our fish are not guaranteed
but
ask for Ned next time you come in and we'll make sure you get a discount

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
gzub
Post subject: Re: Zebra Oto died any advice?
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks Ned, just wanted to see if there were any obvious problems that I should watch out for and make any adjustments as this is the first fish we have had die since we started the tank at the beginning of May. So far even with this unfortunate demise, we still love our new hobby!

Geoff

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: