unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

My Stocking

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Mellis67
Post subject: My Stocking
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:38 am

I am trying to work out the stocking of my 40 gallon tank. I currently have 8 Lemon Tetras and (3) 1.5" Firemouths.. I am hoping to get a pair out of the firemouths and I have a place for the 3rd to go. Is my tank fully stocked? I would of liked to put in 1 or 2 German or Gold Rams as well as an Angel if I can fit them. I do realize I would need to move the firemouths out when they get larger. and I have another tank that they can be moved into when they get bigger its just not set up yet..

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:01 pm
Site Admin

you have plenty of room for more fish

it's just that firemouths aren't a good mix
with the rams

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Mellis67
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Any suggestions than?... I would like something compatible with alot of color... I know the wife wants angels but will they be fine together if I have a pair of firemouths and a pair of angels? I don't want a war going on over territory. Any suggestions for something that would go well with the firemouths and angels? or would I be better just sticking with the firemouths, angels and lemon tetras???

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:06 pm
Site Admin

I would say
Large or med-Lrg Angels could go in with small firemouths
but
in about a year
when the firmouths are mature
anything can happen

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Mellis67
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Yeah thats the problem... I am thinking now it can vary greatly with the personalities of the fish. I would like to set up the tank and not have to worry about what is going to happen in a year's time but the only way I think that could be achieved with 100% certainty is if I leave just a pair a firemouths in as a pair. What I may do is keep my fingers crossed that I do have a male and a female among the three I have and seperate the odd fish out when they pair. I would like to add some angels to the tank but how many? If I notice any aggression problems I can quickly transfer them to my other out of commission tank. I should set it up anyways and keep it as a quarantine tank in the meantime. Would I have to start with larger angels or would I be able to get quarter size angels? So I guess the question would be how many angels with a pair of firemouths in a 40 gallon and what size should they be to start. This is a planted tank with rocks, and bogwood so there are plenty of territories to be claimed.

Profile Quote
redpaulhus
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:29 pm

Salvini's --- I've mixed them with firemouth's in the past with good success, and the colors are good as they grow up and settle in.

Cryptoheros nanoluteus would also work (and stay smaller and milder than the salvini's)

(just my two cents - and I think Ned sells both of those from time to time...)

Red

Profile Quote
Mellis67
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:37 am

I really like the idea of the Cryptoheros nanoluteus. Are any of those in stock and if not could you get a pair for me???

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: