unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

S.A Chiclid sickness

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
jhnlesch
Post subject: S.A Chiclid sickness
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:37 pm

hi i have a satanoperca jurupari who survived a ammonia spike (due to a dead fish) i have no idea how long it was exposed to high toxic levels but it is alive still. i cleaned the tank out and removed the dead fish ( 5 total ) and put new carbon in . i removed everything in the tank except some drift wood and gravel. i added salt to the tank like i was treating ick and added some anti biotic (maracyn) but the fish seems to be getting worce. it just lays on the bottom of the tank and if it dose move its not normal its all over the place and at times goes upside down and its fins are all worn down like somthings eating away at it. any ideas what else i can do to save the fish thanks

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 pm
Site Admin

Doesn't sound good. Once an eartheater is going upsidedown its probably not going to recover. Still... you are doing mostly the right thing - water changes, salt, and meds... I would do another large water change to be sure the ammonia and nitrites stay down. If the fish shows signs of recovery, give us a call and we can help you get it back into good shape.

Do you know why you lost the fish in the first place? The fish may still be suffering from the inituial cause - and if its parasite related,
you need to treat for that first. Feel free to call or come by if you think it well help.

-Sam

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
jhnlesch
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:38 pm

well my sister got a catfish that would hide all the time so no one thought it was strange that they could not see it but then we found it dead foating at the surface and the water spiked in ammonia we found more dead looking around the tank so i put the remaining fish in a 20g tank and cleaned the other tank out . washed it out with hot water and refilled it. some of the goldfish had a white fuzz on them and were turning black but since i have put them back in the tank with the salt and the anti biotic it has been going away but the chiclid is now getting red spots all over the fins and tail and underside now and is breathing fast.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: