unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

bristlenose pleco stopped eating algae

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Schmidty
Post subject: bristlenose pleco stopped eating algae
Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:47 pm

My male bristlenose pleco seems to have stopped eating algae. He used to keep my tank virtually algae-free. Interestingly, he was never interested in frozen bloodworms that I feed the other fish, but now he eats them. I've heard of common plecos becoming more carnivorous with age, but I thought the bristlenose generally always eat algae. Mostly he _ on the two pieces of driftwood I have in there. If I remove those, might he eat algae for lack of anything better to do?

Profile Quote
tl64
Post subject: Bristlenose Pleco
Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:49 pm

I had breeding pair of Albino BN Plecos that produced many young over a couple years. The smaller fish constantly graze on green algae. Once they reach about 2- 2.5 inches they slow down. They will start eating meatier foods. By meatier foods, I mean flakes, pellets, frozen brine shrimp etc. They also will still eat and NEED green foods in their diet.
No matter the size of the BN Pleco, make sure you supplement their diet w/ some green foods such as Hikari algae wafers etc.
Do not remove the driftwood. There is no doubt in my mind that they need wood to remain healthy (supposed to aid in digestion).
Bloodworms are a good high protein food. I would only use them as a supplement on occasion for any fish. Keep the diet varied.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:11 am
Site Admin

I'll buy that

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction: