unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Cross breeding

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Crazygregg
Post subject: Cross breeding
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Ok Heres the quandry. I was freeing up some tank space the other day so I had a tank to Breed my Scarlet Badis in so I took a Female Betta Channoides I had taking up space in one tank& put it in with a Male Betta Rubra I had taking up space in another tank. Apperently these two have become fond of each other & might acually breed. They are bolth mouth brooders.Should I continue to let this occur or is this some kind of taboo Abomination? IN effect If they do manage to have young Ill be creating a whole new species wont I? Wonder what I could get for the lil buggers?

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:10 pm
Site Admin

"Ill be creating a whole new species wont I?"
technically a hybrid, which is not a species

would be interesting tho
sometimes
hybrid fry tell scientists something about relation of species

classic example is the mule
cross between a horse and a donkey
...very sturdy animal
but cannot have young
... google: mule

"Wonder what I could get for the lil buggers?"
zero dollars at Uncle Ned's...
but maybe a hundred dollars on AquaBid

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Crazygregg
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:10 pm

Ahh. Hadnt thought of that Kinda like a flowerhorn or most guppies , plateys mollies etc. Seems to me me you can get $100 bucks for just about anything on AquaBid. I could probably sell bags of tap water.Ive tried bidding on a few thing but ther prices end up being so rediculise especially after shipping its not worth it unless your really desparate & its something your one of your local dealers just cant get for you.Like some of the Differnt Wild Bettas Ive been interested in .

Profile Quote
jd6405
Post subject: Re: Cross breeding
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:52 pm

Crazygregg wrote:
Ok Heres the quandry. I was freeing up some tank space the other day so I had a tank to Breed my Scarlet Badis in so I took a Female Betta Channoides I had taking up space in one tank& put it in with a Male Betta Rubra I had taking up space in another tank. Apperently these two have become fond of each other & might acually breed. They are bolth mouth brooders.Should I continue to let this occur or is this some kind of taboo Abomination? IN effect If they do manage to have young Ill be creating a whole new species wont I? Wonder what I could get for the lil buggers?
OT here, but you breed Scarlet badis? I would love some of these!! If you have any in the future please contact me! Thanks!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: