unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Lowering ph

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Jeffs
Post subject: Lowering ph
Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi, is there a method of PERMANENTLY lowering the ph of my water (not interested in acid buffer)? I'm currently using spring water that has a ph of 7. The dwarf rasboras seem to not care but my weitzmani tetras have been hiding and not showing their colors well. Information available online indicates that the tetras need a ph of 5.5-6.0. I wouldn't want to use peat moss because it yellows the tank. Is there anything I can put in my tank that permanently lowers the pH?

8g Oceanic biocube with too many plants and too many fish!
Species list: crystal red shrimp, boraras merah, weitzmani tetras

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeffr ... sh1ts3.jpg

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:02 pm

There are two main ways to do it - the natural way and the chemical way - and you already hit upon both in your post.

el natural:
Peat filtration, along with loads of driftwood, beech leaves, etc. will definitely lower your ph. If you want to get it really low, 5.0-5.5 peat is really the best option. I have fish that require 5.0 ph to breed, and for them i am planning to filter barrels of water with peat and use that water in my water changes for the main tank. It can be dangerous to simply put peat in your tank filter as it could cause the ph to drop too low or simply be too eratic.... low phs are rather unstable. You could start by adding just a little to your filter and monitering your ph carefully with a wide range test kit as you add more over the course of a few weeks. As you said, peat creates black water conditions in your tank, i.e. the water turns brown. If you are primarily concerned with the care and breeding of your fish, this shouldn't bother you, but I understand that it is not something many find attractive for display tanks.

chemical:
yes chemicals can be bad. ph up and ph down are unreliable, hard to dose correctly, and often only a temp solution. HOWEVER, buffers, on the whole, are great! I use proper ph 6.5 to drop my ph for soft water fish in all my south american tanks. The drop is permenant and the ph is very stable. The lable does say that it can be bad for planted tanks, but i have never had problems in my planted aquariums where I have used it. There are almost certainly plant safe buffers out there.
If you use a buffer, run some experiments with it first. I only have to use about 1/8th the given dose of proper ph to get its full effect on boston water - which has a very high ph - but is very soft. Harder water will be harder to manipulate and you may need larger doses, but using as little as possible is always advisable.
If your water is as hard as ours is at the store (millis/medway etc.) you will find buffers that lower ph and soften water largely ineffective. In this case you would either have to use RO water or use rain water.

A more important point than all this buffer ph talk is the nature of the wietzmani tetra. They are small, slow moving, reclusive tetras, and until they are well settled in, it is not surprising that they have not been out and about. They do come from dark waters and they don't like bright lights - you may see them more if you give the tank a twilight hour in the evening - if you add peat - or if you create dense undergrowth that darkens the lower levels of the tank.

I am not an expert when it comes to buffers, peat and planted tanks - but I have lived my hole life using bostons crazy water - and buffers and peat have both served me well. Do some research to find out what other people are using on their planted aquariums and do some experimenting to find out what works best for you

-Sam

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Also, give it all some time!
they are tiny little guys and have been moved around a lot recently. feed the tank well and see how things are going in a month.

Profile Quote
Jeffs
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:56 pm

Sam, thanks alot for the advice! I am currently using Poland Spring for my tank. pH is at 7 and doesn't fluctuate at all. Do you guys sell any reliable buffer that would give me a pH of 6? Also, my tank is heavily planted (see sig) and I am not using any type of CO2 system. Tank specs are as follows: Oceanic 8 gl biocube with a wet/dry filter with bioballs and I keep the light on 12 hrs a day and temp is 76-78 . With that type of system, would lowering the pH from 7 to 6 have any adverse impact on my plants and biological filtration? I am mainly concerned because all the information online indicates that my dwarf rasboras and weitzmani prefer a pH of 5.5 to 6.0 and I'm afraid that 7 would not be optimal for them! Thanks in advance.

8g Oceanic biocube with too many plants and too many fish!
Species list: crystal red shrimp, boraras merah, weitzmani tetras

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeffr ... sh1ts3.jpg

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:38 pm
Site Admin

I don't believe we have a 6.0 puffer in the store right now - but I want to get some in for next week anyways - so we should have some soon.

Plants, like fish, have different needs depending on species and origin. Some plants will flourish in soft acid water while others will only thrive in hard water. The actual ph change of 1 point shouldn't do any immediate harm to your plants - but over time you may find that species like anubias and some aponogeton suffer. On the other hand, sword plants, glossostigma, and many others will thrive. Its always a trade off.

My knowledge about this subject only goes so far i'm afraid - there may be perfect products out there that lower ph and hardness but that leave important minerals in the water for plants. There may be solutions other than what I have gone over. Definitely post these questions to an aquatic plant forum - or get a good plant book and follow its advice.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:46 pm
Site Admin

you can also mix your spring water or tap water
with R.O. water

we sell Reverse Osmosis water here at the store for 50 cents a gallon