unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

ummmm....puffer?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
tiujustin
Post subject: ummmm....puffer?
Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:13 pm

So i maintain a 110gal tank with african cichlids for a salon. One of the women who owns it saw a cute little "freshwater" puffer fish at petco.... sigh.... and decides she needs to have it, makes the purchase and puts the fish in the tank. Surprisingly the fish is ok. It is alive and doing quite well actually. I believe it is a green spoted puffer, my question is that it is 1.75" in size now when will it have to go to brackish water? There is no available tank to house the mean little punk when it gets to be a mean BIG PUNK. (thanks petco) And if so when it comes time will you guys take it in trade as I am unsure if you have any brackish tanks. Thanks

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:31 pm
Site Admin

hmm...
I kept a spotted puffer in a cichlid tank years and years ago when i was starting in the hobby. It did not cause any trouble and as it grew it remained surprisingly peaceful. On the other hand Ned has tried this as have a few of our costumers and the puffers have destroyed cichlid fins or worse. But... if its working so far - just keep a sharp eye on the little guy and cross your fingers.

As far as water conditions go, its not too much of a problem... Spotted puffers don't HAVE to be in high salinity water and cichlids don't HAVE to be in zero salinity water. I would keep the hardness and ph high and just add the usual two-teaspoons per gallon of aquarium salt - pretty standard stuff for a cichlid tank. Given the puffers natural habitat however, I would never let the salt level drop much below this.

Goodluck - and yes, we can take him if its just not working out for you,
-Sam

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
tiujustin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks sam, I thought that the cichlids would do the pufer in for sure. Even the demasoni leaves the thing alone i was shocked. I will most likely be up tomorow to pick up some plants. Thanks, again

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject: Oh *@!*
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:59 pm

A note on puffers:

I have had a congo puffer and a L127 pleco in a ten gallon tank together for many months and have had no problems. Unfortunately the L127 was no good for keeping the algae down and I added a bushynose about one week ago. When I added the bushynose my puffer went fire red in protest but calmed down after a good nights sleep.

Today I came home and the bushynose is missing half his face - the puffer bit it off - right through the jaw bone and all. The worst part of this is that the pleco is still alive.

So...
DONT TRUST YOUR CONGO PUFFERS!!
They may look like sweet little pets on the outside, but they are selfish, rageful, pigs underneath their plump exteriors.

Of course I am very fond of my little red pig - but I think I will be more careful with my fingers around him from now on.

-Sam

p.s. Tetraodon miurus (Congo Puffers) are supposed to be one of the most aggressive puffers - so don't let this post keep you from attempting to house tankmates with less agressive species like spotteds and figure eights etc.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:37 pm
Site Admin

they are selfish, rageful, pigs underneath their plump exteriors

much like myself

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote