unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

What do you think of my water?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
learn2turn
Post subject: What do you think of my water?
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:53 am

I bought a Marden 5in1 test strip kit. For small starter tank I figure it will cut it for now.

Here's what I got for my 10g that's been up for two weeks, two fish, one plant (two more plants added today).

pH 6.8
Alk(ppm) 80
Hard (ppm) 120
NO2(mg/L) 0
NO3(mg/L) 15 (Nitrate ion, not Nitrogen-Nitrate)

Here's what I got from my tap water (south Medfield) after an hour in a glass on the counter.

pH 7.0
Alk(ppm) 90
Hard (ppm) 120
NO2(mg/L) 0
NO3(mg/L) 10 (Nitrate ion, not Nitrogen-Nitrate)

(Maybe I should have waited 24-48 hours for the tap water to get a more accurate reading?)

I was a little surprised at the nitrate. The test scale first step is 0 and second i 20. Since it wasn't quite as pink as the 20, in both cases I tried to guessterpolate what the value might be. Almost as much in the tap as the tank.

My goal is simply to keep a few healthy fish and several plants in a low-light tank 10g, 15W fluorescent. I might add a dwarf shrimp if I can find one I think my fish might not eat.

This weekend I'll probably do my first water change of 10-20%.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 pm
Site Admin

sounds great!

the nitrAte in the tap water is slightly disturbing
(but not dangerous)

is it your own well
or city water supply?

which town?

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
learn2turn
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:51 pm

The water is Medfield town tap water. Medfield has five or six town wells that provide ground water, not surface water. I live on the south side but I'm not sure which well I'm on.

I was surprised at the nitrate since I don't think there's a lot of agriculture in Medfield (other than suburban lawns and gardens).

I was told that Medfield doesn't use chloromine at all and disinfects only two of the wells with chlorine and then only in spring in summer.

I believe they inject sodium hydroxide to bring the pH up so the water doesn't rust the pipes. I remember in the paper reading the system was malfunctioning once and provided water with a pH of 11 for a few hours!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: