Fish-related discussions

tank set-up question

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
shadow
Post subject: tank set-up question
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi,
I have a 5-gallon hexagon tank that I want to have a male betta in.

Can I start it with just some plants and shrimp until I find a betta I want? I think I want cherry shrimp - anything but ghost shrimp...

Also, is there any type of fish that could be in the tank as well, of am I better off with just the betta and the shrimp? Maybe a couple dwarf cories, or a couple oto cats....something that likes to hang out around the bottom to the middle of the tank so they won't get in each others way.

What sort of plants are good for a betta? I know they breath air, and they like to sit at the top of the tank, so I need something for him to float on... Would bamboo work? I was thinking the spiral kind.

Thats all for now....thanks to anyone who responds! :)

Profile Quote
TheFishGuy
Post subject:
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:16 am

Deja vuuuuuuuuu

TheFishGuy
P.O. Box 2453
Framingham MA 01703
508-314-1992
www.the-fish-guy.com

Profile Quote
fi$hm@n
Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:54 am

you could maybe get some barbs, (cherry barbs would be best) cories and oto cats are good too. Guppies, platys, some tetras, sword tails, rainbow fish as well.
These are just some suggestions, you have 5 gallon so just put a few other fish in with the betta. I would highly recomend getting your other fish/shrimp before you put the betta in. I put in 2 guppies with my betta, and he didnt like it. but i tried another atempt- putting my betta into a tank with some guppies, platys, and all fish around that area, and they did perfectly fine together.

Thats what i suggest.. but try anything and lets hope it works out!

cichlids beat all.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: