unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

going to saltwater need some info

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
dodge4x4man68
Post subject: going to saltwater need some info
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi Ned and all, I am going to convert my 75g to saltwater and would like any info you can give as I have minimal knowledge of a SW setup. I have the following equipment, fluval fx5 and fluval 405, 2-250 watt heaters, 2 aquaclear 70 powerheads, a 260 watt power compact and a 120 watt strip. I want a FOWLR tank so I really want to cycle the tank using damsels as they are a hardy species and I dont want to look at a tank of rock for a month or more. If that is ok to cycle that way and can I add cured live rock after or during the cycling process? I have been told the equipment I have is more than adequate. Other than the salt and test kits would I really need anything else to get it up and running ( I have an aragonite substrate in my 75g FW now, would I be able to use in the SW tank after a good rinsing?) This is a move ned should be happy with seeing as how i bought all my FW fish and tank from him and will probably do the same with the SW. :twisted:

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:58 pm
Site Admin

I have the following equipment, fluval fx5 and fluval 405, 2-250 watt heaters, 2 aquaclear 70 powerheads, a 260 watt power compact and a 120 watt strip.
IT'S ONLY 75 GALLONS

SOUNDS LIKE MORE THAN ENOUGH FLOW.
I WOULDN'T EVEN PUT MEDIA IN THE FILTERS.
2 HEATERS AT THAT A HIGH A WATTAGE SOUNDS EXCESSIVE UNLESS TANK IS HUGE, SET HEAT AT 75 degrees F.

I want a FOWLR (FISH ONLY WITH LIVE ROCK) tank so I really want to cycle the tank using damsels (WE ALSO HAVE MOLLYS IN SALT WATER) as they are a hardy species and I dont want to look at a tank of rock for a month or more.
If that is ok to cycle that way and can I add cured live rock after or during the cycling process?
BASICALLY PUT IN THE LIVE ROCK, ADD FISH AND CRITTERS SLOWLY, SAY 4 PCS. A WEEK, JUST KEEP TESTING

I have been told the equipment I have is more than adequate. Other than the salt and test kits would I really need anything else to get it up and running
GET A BOTTLE OF PURPLE UP, ADD A SMALL AMOUNT EVERY DAY

( I have an aragonite substrate in my 75g FW now, would I be able to use in the SW tank after a good rinsing?) THROW AWAY, BUY ALL FRESH, ASK FOR A DISCOUNT.
MIGHT BE FRESHWATER BACTERIA THAT WILL DIE IN THE SALT AND THROW MONKEY WRENCH INTO THE PROCESS.

This is a move ned should be happy with seeing as how i bought all my FW fish and tank from him and will probably do the same with the SW. JESUS LOVES YOU.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
dodge4x4man68
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:31 pm

ned, can I have a discount lol!! I am going to need about what 100lbs of aragonite and how much live rock would you start the tank off with? I will buy the rock from you also. this will all happen within the next week if it all goes according to plan.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:05 pm
Site Admin

you should get 50 pounds minimum
75 would be better
most people wind up with more than 1 pound per gallon

personally
I like the aragonite sand thinner
maybe 30-50 lbs in a 75 g tank...
but whatever you like

I think you said it was a 130 watt light
...that's actually enough for mushroom corals to survive in a 75 g tank

Ned
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
dodge4x4man68
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:31 pm

it is a 260 watt power compact, has 2 65 watt 10000k daylight bulbs and 2 true actinic bulbs, is that too much for the tank. can you quote me a price on 50lbs of rock?

Profile Quote
dodge4x4man68
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:32 pm

oops and a price for 50 lbs of aragonite?

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:41 pm
Site Admin

so it has FOUR 65 watt bulbs ???

that's 3.4 watts per gallon on a 75

that's enough for Leathers, green star polyp, hardier anemones,
almost everything except SPS

could do $6 per pound live rock for 50 pounds or more
(regular $8)

could do $36.75 per 30 pound bag of Aragamax Select
(that's the most popular)

can give similar discount on other types of substrate

Ned
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
dodge4x4man68
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:58 pm

ok that sounds good, I will come up saturday...are you there all day?
one last thing, what salt mix do you recommend?

Profile Quote
unstable
Post subject:
Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:37 am

I have a 35 gallon tank that I switched to saltwater last october. I was told that a smaller tank can be more difficult to setup because the changes in the tank propogate quicker...I honestly haven't had any serious issues with it.

I bought a beginners book on marine tanks. It actually recommended a 50 gallon tank and a bunch of equipment...I did my best to compromise.

I bought a bag of live sand and I kept adding live rock. The accepted formula is you should have at least 1 lbs. per gallon of water...Because I didn't want to buy 35 lbs. of cured rock at once (it can be quite pricey), I bought a couple of rocks everytime I went to the local pet store and when I drove up to neds.

I started off with two damsels and checked levels meticulously. I don't recall ever experiencing a big spike in any of the levels because the bacteria in the rocks I had purchased immediately started doing their job.

I also ran a protein skimmer (it's what the book said to do). I think when I spoke with Ned, he said that a protein skimmer isn't a great thing in a reef tank because the corals like to feed off of the fish excrement...but if you are doing just live rock and fish it would probably be a great idea. The skimmer bubbles out fish excrement and catches it in a skim-cup so that it doesn't overwhelm the tank. You can adjust it accordingly. I would definitely recommend getting one...Ned probably has some really good ones at his shop but I settled on an El' Cheapo $100 Red Sea model. It hangs on the back of the tank and the pump goes in the tank. The pump pumps water and air into a tube and the foam boils up into a cup. Initially I wasn't getting much crap in the cup but when I added a few more critters I did.

Finally...as others have stated LIGHTING will do ALOT to get your rocks looking great along with PURPLE UP. I think you're supposed to add like 1ML per 10 gallons of water. For me, I add around 3.5 ML daily and over time I've gotten a TON of coralline algae growing all throughout the tank. So when you go to buy some rocks, get some that have some nice coralline already growing on them so you can "seed" the tank.

I think you'll also find that some small corals like mushrooms and polyps will be a great low-maintenance addition to your tank in the future.

I hope this helps...Keep a log so you know what you're looking at.

Profile Quote
Tyrsdottir
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:42 pm

unstable wrote:
I have a 35 gallon tank that I switched to saltwater last october. I was told that a smaller tank can be more difficult to setup because the changes in the tank propogate quicker...I honestly haven't had any serious issues with it.

I bought a beginners book on marine tanks. It actually recommended a 50 gallon tank and a bunch of equipment...I did my best to compromise.
Small tanks are fine, you just have to stay on top oif what's going on with them. I have had a 20h reef for 16 months and it's doing fine.

You'd be amazed at how small people can successfully go.

For info on "nano" tanks (tanks 30 gallons or less), and "pico" tanks (5g or less) go to http://www.nano-reef.com/
Great bunch of people there.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “Care and feeding questions”
Jump to: