unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Questions about breeding German Blue Rams

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, ruthe, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
jeromefish
Post subject: Questions about breeding German Blue Rams
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:39 am

I got 1 male and 2 female German Blue Rams 2 weeks ago and 10 days later one of the females died (or was killed), and the remaining male and female paired off and laid eggs on a leaf of a red dot ozelot. So I put in a permeable tank divider to keep them off to one side of my 55 gallon, giving them about 10-12 gallons.

I have a few questions. In case this is their first time and it doesn't work out, what are the odds they'll breed again if I leave them in that divided section and how long will it take? When and if I do get hatchlings, on what day should I begin feeding them frozen baby brine shrimp and how often? If it all works, should I take one or both parents out, and if so when? I have a couple ottos and a black phantom tetra I just can't remove (lots of plants); should I just leave them in there? Does it make a difference? Lastly, half of my filter output (not the input) is in the divided section with the rams, with one of two bio-wheels turning, providing a lot (too much?) current; should I do anything?

JFM

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:14 pm
Site Admin

In case this is their first time and it doesn't work out, what are the odds they'll breed again if I leave them in that divided section and how long will it take? GOOD ODDS ... MAYBE 28 DAYS?>
When and if I do get hatchlings, on what day should I begin feeding them frozen baby brine shrimp and how often? GUESSING 3rd DAY>
If it all works, should I take one or both parents out, and if so when? I DON'T KNOW>
I have a couple ottos and a black phantom tetra I just can't remove (lots of plants); should I just leave them in there?
Does it make a difference?
IN MY EXPERIENCE ALL THE FISH SHOULD BE REMOVED EXCEPT THE BABYS AND PARENTS>
Lastly, half of my filter output (not the input) is in the divided section with the rams, with one of two bio-wheels turning, providing a lot (too much?) current; should I do anything?
PROBABLY THAT'S FINE, JUST DONT LET BABYS GET DRAWN INTO THE FILTER

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
grayMatters
Post subject: Leaving parents with fry?
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:48 am

Hi Ned,

My rams have spawned in a 10g tank. No other fish in the tank. The fry are big enough to be eating baby brine shrimp. The parents are a bit testy towards each other. The male seems to be the one in charge of the fry. On some days the male is harassing the female. On some days they seem to be getting along.

Any thoughts or experience on how long it is safe to keep them all together?

Thanks!

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:48 pm
Site Admin

I've never bred them
but I suspect they could live together forever

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)